• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why isn't my Messor structor colony growing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MileHighAnts - Posted March 16 2023 - 5:50 PM

MileHighAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, I have a messor structor colony that i have had for 2 months now, when i got them they had 10 decently developed larvae. a month when i checked on them they're larvae pupated and the queen layed a small batch of eggs. fast forward to today the pupae still hasn't became workers and the eggs still haven't hatched, i have no idea what i am doing wrong. I've keep them at 20C and have given them proteins every 2 weeks and they have a constant water supply from their test tube aswell as unlimited seeds. if you see nay lapse in my care please tell me!

#2 Offline MileHighAnts - Posted March 16 2023 - 5:51 PM

MileHighAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i forgot to say they are currently in a tubs and tubes set up with 2 16x150mm test tubes

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 16 2023 - 6:08 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Messor structor grow pretty slowly during the first season or two in general. I currently have a colony of structor in their second season in a dirt setup at around 28 degrees Celsius. To stimulate brood growth I'd suggest incrementally increasing the temperature of your colony to around 23 or 26 degrees Celsius, while leaving a colder area for the colony to retreat to if necessary.

• Manitobant and MileHighAnts like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline MileHighAnts - Posted March 16 2023 - 6:51 PM

MileHighAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

No way, you are the person i got the ants from! thanks for the help aswell!

#5 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 16 2023 - 7:41 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

No problem, I think you are referring to UtahAntShop who is local vendor that occasionally sells M. structor colonies. We are seperate individuals who just happened to have similar usernames.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users