• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Favorite Species

favorite discussion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 9 2023 - 4:32 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

What is everybody's favorite species of ant?

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#2 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 9 2023 - 4:40 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

My favorite species is Aphaenogaster rudis. Mostly because they are fairly fast growers for their size, they are not too picky about their food, and their lack of a social stomach is also very interesting. I like watching them drag their food back to their nest, which they do because they do not have social stomachs.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2023 - 5:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
https://www.formicul...m/?fromsearch=1

https://www.formicul...t/?fromsearch=1

https://www.formicul...y/?fromsearch=1
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 10 2023 - 5:02 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Oh, sorry about this. :( Wait, I posted on the top one, I don't even remember that!

Edited by antperson24, March 10 2023 - 7:30 AM.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2023 - 6:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It's all good!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 1 2023 - 2:07 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGermany

Several.

I absolutely love bull ants and I loved watching them during my trip to Australia. I would love keeping some, but it is extremely hard to get one's hands on a colony in Europe. Yes, there are colonies sold on Ebay, but the prices are astronomical. We are taking 800 Euros.

I adore the large nests of our native German wood ants and I had the priviledge to be able to keep a small colony in my youth. They are magical.

During a holiday in Spain, I loved watching the harvester ants, Messor spp. I loved the different sizes of the workers, the red headed majors and it was a joy watching them transport all these different, giant seed into their nest. I actually fullfilled a wish of mine to actually get a Messor barbarus colony when I recently re-kindled my love for ants. Now I am a proud owner of a busy little colony of these ladies.

Since I was a little kid, I also loved the humble Myrmica rubra. The garden of my parents is full of plants and trees and they always had a range of different ant species in there, and I learned their names from an early age. We had Lasius niger, Lasius flavus and of course Myrmica rubra. Myrmica rubra was the most exciting one of these, of course, because it can sting. Yeah, I was a weird kid and I had a thing for animals that make other people run away. I also gave my grandma a near heartattack, because as a kid, I loved to let the hornets who were nesting in our orchard land on my hand. European hornets are actually very gentle and not very aggressive (if you do not disturb the nest) and I must have acted in a very non-threating way back then. So actually, my very first pet was some Myrmica rubra ants which I had put in a jar. As you might guess, this did not really work out. I actually debated with myself if I should just dig up a M. rubra colony from my parent's garden now that I started up again, but then I read that they are quite finicky for beginners and have more advanced needs concerning humidity and heating- and it is just a bit intimitating for someone starting out new. So I held back on these guys.

But they might be something I might come back to and try my luck on later when I have a bit more experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: favorite, discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users