• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

harvester ant feeding question

feeding harvester

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted February 9 2023 - 3:19 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Just out of curiosity:

I notice that harvester ants like Pogonomyrmex are said to collect pollen as a food source in the wild. Has anyone tried pollen before?

if not harvested wild, then something store bought like this?

https://www.amazon.c...5983678&sr=8-11

71fy6Is9lwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

sorry bout the huge image but i didn't spot a way control display size.

Just curious on this as i am trying to be sure and offer my ants as much of the diet diversity as they would get in the wild that I can. And this looks like an easy thing to sprinkle in form time to time as part of that variety. Though i note a massive swath of options in this market and have no clue what's legit and what's sketch among them all. Very new age crystal rub vitamin supplants vibe going on around the market options i find.

Anyone got some XP on this?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 9 2023 - 5:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think it could be a good food for them. My only concern would be possible pesticides in the pollen. There is really no way to control what plants bees forage on, so you can’t really guarantee any bee product is organic. A friend of mine had many of his colonies poisoned last season from a bad batch of honey.
  • Manitobant and rptraut like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding, harvester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users