• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Problems with hibernation

hibernation help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline GeoAnts - Posted February 1 2023 - 6:57 PM

GeoAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDavis County, UT

Hey Guys,

I live in Utah and we have had a crazy winter- I keep my ants in my garage as it has pretty good insulation and I keep them in insulated boxes. I have never had problems with it, for the two years I have used it as most of the time the coldest it will get is like 15 degrees here in the winter (fahrenheit) maybe once or twice a winter. Last night though, it dropped to about 1 or 2 degrees fahrenheit and my ants water reservoirs froze in their setups. I took the colonies inside, as most of my queens and small colonies were lying on the floor seemingly frozen. I know that they often can recover from this though, and due to ants brilliant resiliency most of my colonies and queens survived. I screwed up, and I will figure out a new system to hibernate my ants. But in the meantime, as my ants are awake should I place them back into hibernation?? We are still in the middle of winter and I want to give them the hibernation necessary but don't want to mess them up even more if I put them back into hibernation and it messes them up. I probably could have handled this a little better, but I'm learning- so any advice for if this happens again and how I could have handled this better is very welcome.

Thanks, 

Geo Ants

GeoAnts

Currently kept colonies: Camponotus cf. hyatti, T. immigrans

Current queens: Formica sp. Camponotus laevissimus, Lasius americanus, Camponotus cf. herculeanus, and soon more to come!

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 1 2023 - 11:00 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

You should have left them in the garage. I leave mine in the garage during -20 temps here with no issues.  If you put them back out when it's so cold, you take a huge gamble on killing them. If you can put them in the fridge to finish their hibernation term.

• Manitobant likes this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation, help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users