• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Repletism in Myrmecocystus species

replete myrmecocystus chrstineae colei creightoni intonsus koso kathjuli kennedyi nequazcatl perimeces romainei

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline charlomyrmex - Posted November 17 2022 - 7:13 AM

charlomyrmex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Hi everyone! I am really interested in honeypot ants (Myrmecocystus spp) and I am trying to find records of repletism in the 29 different species. In this paper (https://www.scienced...055790320303080), they state repletes have been found in 20/29 species but do not indicate which species. I have been able to find records of repletes in 19/29 species. The ten species I couldn't find records for are christineae, colei, creightoni, intonsus, kathjuli, kennedyi, koso, nequazcatl, perimeces, and romainei. I am attaching a file of all my citations for this information.

I was wondering if anyone here has observed repletism in these species? Any insight/discussion would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Attached Files

• kellakk likes this

#2 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted November 17 2022 - 8:16 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
I believe kennedyi does, but not very knowledgeable in this.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted November 17 2022 - 1:32 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I am not aware of any Myrmecocystus species that does not form repletes if given the environmental opprotunity. Out of the few you listed, I can confirm M. creightoni, M. kathjuli, and M. romainei. I would suspect M. colei to form repeltes since I have observed the species taking in high quantities of nectars throughout multiple times of the year. There also is a lot more than just 29 species, most of which are known to form repletes. 

• ZTYguy, AntsCali098 and charlomyrmex like this

#4 Offline charlomyrmex - Posted November 18 2022 - 7:39 AM

charlomyrmex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I am not aware of any Myrmecocystus species that does not form repletes if given the environmental opprotunity. Out of the few you listed, I can confirm M. creightoni, M. kathjuli, and M. romainei. I would suspect M. colei to form repeltes since I have observed the species taking in high quantities of nectars throughout multiple times of the year. There also is a lot more than just 29 species, most of which are known to form repletes. 

I would also expect all of the species to form repletes, but am trying to find recorded evidence to support that. Thank you for this great information!! Are these colonies that you dug up or cared for? Also, is there something you could point me to for the other species, beyond the 29 listed in the 2021 paper? I suspect like most taxonomy, species numbers are always fluctuating and names changing depending on species concepts/new information coming out.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 18 2022 - 10:47 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I agree as did my dad that the absence of repletes in certain species was a result of inadequate sampling rather than the species in question not producing repletes. I am very glad to see the linked paper as it tends to confirm the existence of additional species.

• charlomyrmex likes this

#6 Offline charlomyrmex - Posted November 18 2022 - 12:31 PM

charlomyrmex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I agree as did my dad that the absence of repletes in certain species was a result of inadequate sampling rather than the species in question not producing repletes. I am very glad to see the linked paper as it tends to confirm the existence of additional species.

That makes sense, it's always hard to prove the absence of a certain trait, especially when ants like these can be so difficult to collect. Thank you! And I suppose I should read the paper closer, now I see their mention of additional species   :facepalm:

Edited by charlomyrmex, November 18 2022 - 12:36 PM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#7 Offline ReignofRage - Posted November 18 2022 - 4:26 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I would also expect all of the species to form repletes, but am trying to find recorded evidence to support that. Thank you for this great information!! Are these colonies that you dug up or cared for? Also, is there something you could point me to for the other species, beyond the 29 listed in the 2021 paper? I suspect like most taxonomy, species numbers are always fluctuating and names changing depending on species concepts/new information coming out.

There will be a struggle to find published records of repletes for all species, just due to some species rarely being seen and the apparent struggle many people have with identifying the species of this genus i.e. calling everything mimicus, mendax, etc - to me it's not that difficult. It would be difficult for me to believe that any Myrmecocystus doesn't form repletes just from seeing multiple species of the three genetically fictitious subgenera form repletes no matter if majors are formed or not. The species I stated are from captive observations as I don't particularly like to excavate wild colonies. There isn't really a paper that goes over and describes all of the species, I just have personal documentation and organization with the help of personally communications with entomolgists that are working on the genus. The amount of species described is never constantly fluctuating, it only changes with accepted revisions that get published.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: replete, myrmecocystus, chrstineae, colei, creightoni, intonsus, koso, kathjuli, kennedyi, nequazcatl, perimeces, romainei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users