• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

LF Atta Texana in the Dallas Area

atta leaf cutter

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline biotex - Posted October 24 2022 - 3:04 PM

biotex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,

I'm looking for Atta texana colonies, preferably with 2-3 queens. I tried the AntsCanada GAN website but got no responses from the listed sellers. I have a motorcycle, but I don't have a car so I'd prefer to meet in-person the Dallas/FW area, or have the colony shipped to my address. Let me know if you're selling! 

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 25 2022 - 7:18 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You’ll likely need to wait until they fly next spring unfortunately. Atta sell out FAST.

#3 Offline aznphenom - Posted October 25 2022 - 8:52 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

They don't sell out fast. Something was just wrong with this years flight. Maybe that frozen week messed up those whole season.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#4 Offline AntsNY123 - Posted October 25 2022 - 3:48 PM

AntsNY123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

I really want A. texana

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 26 2022 - 7:15 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
Ants emporium sells A. texana and has permits to ship out of state. However, as i said before they are currently out of stock.

#6 Offline AntsNY123 - Posted October 27 2022 - 11:03 AM

AntsNY123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

Ants emporium sells A. texana and has permits to ship out of state. However, as i said before they are currently out of stock.

takes em 40 years to restock

#7 Offline aznphenom - Posted October 27 2022 - 11:12 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

takes em 40 years to restock

You do know that ants fly once a year, right? Out of stock means he didn't catch any this year or something similar.

• United-Ants likes this

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 27 2022 - 11:42 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
I think he’s joking

#9 Offline biotex - Posted October 28 2022 - 11:19 AM

biotex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Garrett has quit antkeeping. He's closing down his shop. He was the GAN farmer that was listed on the AntsCanada site. He'll never stock Atta again.

#10 Offline United-Ants - Posted October 28 2022 - 11:22 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
What?

#11 Offline biotex - Posted October 28 2022 - 11:24 AM

biotex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

They don't sell out fast. Something was just wrong with this years flight. Maybe that frozen week messed up those whole season.

I know of a huge colony down in Austin and I was trying to catch a nuptial flight this past spring but I didn't see any queens, so I think you're right.

#12 Offline aznphenom - Posted October 28 2022 - 11:28 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I know of a huge colony down in Austin and I was trying to catch a nuptial flight this past spring but I didn't see any queens, so I think you're right.

It was actually the opposite. I got mine in Austin. Hundreds of queens. Saw 1 male. didn't think much of it. It was my first time seeing atta so I didn't know what was normal. None of my turned out fertile. 2 other keepers from different parts of texas, one catching over a thousand confirmed the same thing happened to them. 

So you saw just males? do you remember the date?

Edited by aznphenom, October 28 2022 - 11:28 AM.

#13 Offline biotex - Posted October 28 2022 - 11:31 AM

biotex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It was actually the opposite. I got mine in Austin. Hundreds of queens. Saw 1 male. didn't think much of it. It was my first time seeing atta so I didn't know what was normal. None of my turned out fertile. 2 other keepers from different parts of texas, one catching over a thousand confirmed the same thing happened to them.

So you saw just males? do you remember the date?

That's weird. No, I meant to say I saw no alates at all from the colony I know of.

#14 Offline AntsNY123 - Posted November 30 2022 - 12:55 PM

AntsNY123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

R u going to start selling??

#15 Offline NicholasP - Posted November 30 2022 - 11:35 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

He doesn't sell anymore Atta texana queens. Well, he didn't this year.

#16 Offline NicholasP - Posted November 30 2022 - 11:36 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

What?

It's on his social media I believe. And I've heard of it being on a Discord server of his? Although I have no clue if the server even exists.

#17 Offline aznphenom - Posted December 1 2022 - 5:42 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

He doesn't sell anymore Atta texana queens. Well, he didn't this year.

none of the queens founded

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atta, leaf cutter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users