• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving Myrmecocystus? + some other questions

myrmecocystus

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 21 2022 - 10:06 AM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Hi, I'm currently keeping a few colonies of Myrmecocystus, one colony of M mimicus, and two M yuma (one colony and one queen). My M mimicus colony has around eight workers currently, I was wondering when I should move them into a tarheel ants mini hearth? I understand It can be stressful to the ants if one were to move a colony too soon, however, If I were to simply connect the nest would it be ok? Also, one of my M yuma queens has failed to open and pupa, I have manually opened one, but the poor worker was rejected by the queen. I was thinking to cut my losses and give here brood to another colony, thoughts?

Plants r cool

#2 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted October 21 2022 - 2:33 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hi, I'm currently keeping a few colonies of Myrmecocystus, one colony of M mimicus, and two M yuma (one colony and one queen). My M mimicus colony has around eight workers currently, I was wondering when I should move them into a tarheel ants mini hearth? I understand It can be stressful to the ants if one were to move a colony too soon, however, If I were to simply connect the nest would it be ok? Also, one of my M yuma queens has failed to open and pupa, I have manually opened one, but the poor worker was rejected by the queen. I was thinking to cut my losses and give here brood to another colony, thoughts?

I would move them into a mini hearth after they get there first replete or after 15ish workers, also just keep the yuma, does she have another other pupae that are almost ready to hatch?

Edited by That_one_ant_guy, October 21 2022 - 2:33 PM.

#3 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 21 2022 - 2:48 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I would move them into a mini hearth after they get there first replete or after 15ish workers, also just keep the yuma, does she have another other pupae that are almost ready to hatch?

Ok, thank you for the reply! Yes, one is nearly ready too, I was thinking if this one is also discarded I would just giver here brood to another colony.

Plants r cool

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 21 2022 - 4:58 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
You can put them in now. They are a pretty fast growing species and will easily outgrow the mini hearth in about 6 months time with frequent feeding.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 21 2022 - 5:52 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

You can put them in now. They are a pretty fast growing species and will easily outgrow the mini hearth in about 6 months time with frequent feeding.

Ok, would you reccomend dupming them or letting them move in at their own pace. Thanks for the reply, I apprecaite it. 

Plants r cool

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 21 2022 - 6:08 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I haven't dumped pots myself before. I have dumped my other ants, mostly Camponotus, into other test tubes. I have seen other members dumb or recommend dumping, the only thing you might need to worry is popping any small replete if any has become.

You could try to move them with a paintbrush and just like slowly move the replete by and, and the dump the rest of the ants?

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 21 2022 - 7:13 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
I recommend dumping. But if you wanna post a pic of the colony I can better suggest a moving method. I have had success with dumping however there are circumstances where I would do otherwise.

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#8 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 21 2022 - 7:32 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

IMG-2878.jpg

My apologies for the poor quality, but in description, I just received this colony from the mail, they have around 7-8 workers, 1 pupa, and several larva. They've excepted a fruit fly, but haven't ventured farther than the start of the paper towel. The queen is filled with honey. I hope this helps, I wish they were as easy as my acromyrmex (knocks on wood).

Edited by EthanNgo678, October 21 2022 - 7:33 PM.

• MrPurpleB likes this

Plants r cool

#9 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 21 2022 - 7:34 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I haven't dumped pots myself before. I have dumped my other ants, mostly Camponotus, into other test tubes. I have seen other members dumb or recommend dumping, the only thing you might need to worry is popping any small replete if any has become.

You could try to move them with a paintbrush and just like slowly move the replete by and, and the dump the rest of the ants?

Thanks for the idea, the only ant that is filled to be a replete is the queen, so I will probably do that. Thanks for the input!

Plants r cool

#10 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 21 2022 - 8:30 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Yeah just dump them.

Currently Keeping:

#11 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 21 2022 - 8:42 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Yeah just dump them.

Ok, thank you! I'll update this thread later on how it goes.

• MrPurpleB and ZTYguy like this

Plants r cool

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 22 2022 - 10:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, don't wait for Myrmecocystus to move on their own. Half the time they will just choose to die rather than move.

• MrPurpleB and B_rad0806 like this

#13 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 23 2022 - 10:30 AM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Yeah, don't wait for Myrmecocystus to move on their own. Half the time they will just choose to die rather than move.

Got it, thanks. I moved them in without any problems, they've started accepting foods, both sugars and insects. 

• MrPurpleB likes this

Plants r cool

#14 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 25 2022 - 6:45 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca
Although the move went without a hitch, and they’ve been excepting both sugars and insects. Two workers have died. I have no idea why, I can’t seem to find success with this genus.

Plants r cool

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users