• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Predatory mites on rhino beetles?

mites predatory beetle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UtahAnts - Posted October 12 2022 - 5:16 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley
I volunteer at an entomology lab twice a week and I noticed while feeding some of the rhino beetles, Dynastes grantii, that some of them had white-brown mites moving quickly on them. These didn't appear to be parasitizing at all, like I've seen with other beetle mites in the lab. They also resemble Hypoaspus mites, but then again I wasn't using a microscope to ID.

I remember some obscure AntsCanada video about taking mites from a beetle to help with a mite problem. Does anyone remember what happened and if these could be used to predate on grain mites? I have an infestation in the outworld of one of my colonies, and I was wondering if using these mites as a natural predator of grain mites would work. I may just do a test run and isolate some grain mites and the new beetle mites and see what happens, but I'd love to hear from any beetle keepers if they know the type of mite I saw and if they are predatory?

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 13 2022 - 5:39 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

wish i just had an entomology lab around my neighborhood. Lucky!

Edited by Ants_Dakota, October 13 2022 - 5:39 AM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted October 13 2022 - 4:06 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Those mites are most likely hitching rides on the beetles and not harmful to them.

You could try to use them to control grain mites, although they most likely won't do much.  I also just don't like mites of any kind in my setups.  The best way to control grain mites is to make sure your feeders don't have any and to clean your ants' trash regularly.  Other than that, you'll have to desiccate your colony to dry all the mites out.  There are also booklice you can try to use to clean your outworld and they could out-compete the grain mites.

• T.C. and UtahAnts like this

#4 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 13 2022 - 4:17 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Those mites are most likely hitching rides on the beetles and not harmful to them.

You could try to use them to control grain mites, although they most likely won't do much.  I also just don't like mites of any kind in my setups.  The best way to control grain mites is to make sure your feeders don't have any and to clean your ants' trash regularly.  Other than that, you'll have to desiccate your colony to dry all the mites out.  There are also booklice you can try to use to clean your outworld and they could out-compete the grain mites.

I think booklice are scavengers that could compete the grain mites, but would they be able to eat them? Just wondering if they'd eat mite eggs or hatchlings along with the detritus they normally consume. I'd rather have booklice than mites, since I could use them as feeders for small cryptics. 

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mites, predatory, beetle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users