• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Possible aluminum formicarium?

aluminum formicarium homemade aluminum tray homemade formicarium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ant234 - Posted August 26 2022 - 3:57 PM

Ant234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTroy, Michigan

Hi,

I am going to try and attempt at an aluminum tray formicarium. The dimensions are 12x10 inches. I will make separate chambers out of more aluminum that I will have cut from another aluminum tray, and hot glued onto the original tray. Below I have included the pictures of how I want the chambers to look like, and as this is the very first sketch, the chambers are likely to change. The big yellow/gold line you see is how I plan to separate the chambers the very first time I put the colony in. I will place an object blocking the colony from having more space, because I was told that too much space in a colony's nest makes them store waste in their own nest. Also, keep in mind that I am planning to do this with a lasuis queen that I have recently caught. The green is the outworld opening, and the red is the test tube with the water. (Excuse my drawing skills, I did it on a laptop and I am horrible.) 

Below is the sketch and what an aluminum tray looks like if you didn't know.

Attached Images

• image_1024.png
  • Screenshot 2022-08-26 195630.png

Edited by Ant234, August 26 2022 - 4:02 PM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2022 - 6:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants can chew through hot glue. Read the great guides on here on how to make nests from grout or hydrostone. Save the aluminum for casseroles or bbq.
  • Locness likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Ant234 - Posted August 26 2022 - 6:12 PM

Ant234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTroy, Michigan

ok thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aluminum, formicarium, homemade, aluminum tray, homemade formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users