• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Formica argentea Journal

formica argentea finwins camponotus lasius pogonomyrmex ants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted August 21 2022 - 12:05 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

In early August I received my package from JenC, in it my Formica argentea! These came with my C. clarithorax (separate journal ) and when they first arrived all the workers were running around in a typical Formica frenzy. They had lot of pupa and the queen upon seeing the light decided to join in the mayhem. To clam them I gave them some honey which seemed to cool things down as they were distracted by it while I connected their new test tube. Despite the honey though I still had a few escapees that had to be rounded up. The move went pretty well as I used light (and in the end a Q tip) to get them all in their new tube where I gave them a piece of roach meat.

Here they are today

image.jpg

Here is a close up of the brood pile

image.jpg

When they first came they only had larger larva and pupa while now the queen has begun to lay eggs again. Also their are several callows in the colony showing that the pupa are starting to hatch.

Edited by FinWins, March 3 2023 - 7:32 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted September 3 2022 - 5:23 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So I will be moving them to a new diy nest soon that I’m testing I hope them thrive, I will post pic when I do that. All the pupa in the last update have hatched so now there are a lot more workers. :D

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted September 9 2022 - 5:28 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

They moved! Here they are in their new nest. Also a few more workers eclosed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, argentea, finwins, camponotus, lasius, pogonomyrmex, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users