• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NicholasP's Lasius latipes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 20 2022 - 7:39 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Insert awkward SHH moment here.

Attached Images

• P1010138.JPG

Edited by NicholasP, May 29 2023 - 11:44 AM.

• Wegmier and FinWins like this

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 22 2022 - 8:48 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Unfortunate news today... All latipes queens have died. I'll be logging the whole process in my pdf for latipes care I'm making but hopefully I can get some more to try again. It's a really nice day today so maybe I'll get lucky.

#3 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 23 2022 - 12:54 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Bummer, that species looks so cool.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 23 2022 - 2:59 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

They are very cool. It's unfortunate they're so sensitive to not having workers though.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 2 2022 - 7:24 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Alright guys we're back and at it again. I caught 6 latipes queens yesterday so I'll be performing some test and studies on them myself. And I'll be relaying all information to you guys.

But one thing I can tell you guys is that I'm never gonna give them up, never gonna let them down, never gonna turn around and, desert them. Ok, no that's not thing I'll be telling you guys. I've observed that sand is needed desperately if latipes get their introductions in test tubes. L. latipes I've observed have the worst grip of any ant species I've ever kept and the only type of nest that I had some remote amount of sucess with was a nest sand coated with hydrostone. Very similar to a leafcutter nest just sandcoated for grip purposes and to make it pretty.

Also, I've done the standard with latipes of 10 workers to start them out with. But 30 minutes to an hour later I introduce 50-65 workers more and so then they get really swarmed. I've observed that they seem to get accepted much faster that way than with just a few workers at a time. I still have to keep testing these things I just said but it looks hopeful latipes might turn out to be a fairly easier species than any of us have thought but they need the research of how to found them first.

Edited by NicholasP, September 2 2022 - 7:25 AM.

#6 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted September 2 2022 - 11:59 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

What habitat do you catch these in? I am interested in keeping them. I assume it would be the same type of habitat in CA.

Wishlist:

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 2 2022 - 2:50 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So, while I can't explain the habitat very well because all my ants are caught in my neighborhoo by houses. I can try to explain what it's like habitatwise. Every house has a grass front lawn and backyard filled with grass. Basically, everything is grass. But behind my house there's a swamp that floods during spring and fall and tons of frogs and Camponotus nearcticus in the swamp. Behind the house there's a powerline and then house behind that powerline. Along the border of the powerline and the swamp there's TONS of ants. Lasius americanus, Acanthomyops species, Dolichoderus, Temnothorax ambiguus in grass reeds, Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus subbarbatus... Every species you could imagine, and I consider myself lucky for that. But on the grass fields of the front lawns and backyards bordering the swamp there tends to be Lasius brevicornis and I believe Lasius latipes take off either from the swamp or on the border of the swamp by the backyards. So, there's a huge mix of trees, grass, and nice open area. I'll try and find out where the latipes queens take off from to give you a more in depth look into what environment to find them in but that's all I can say since I'm not sure where they come from besides the swamp.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#8 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted September 2 2022 - 9:46 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

So, while I can't explain the habitat very well because all my ants are caught in my neighborhoo by houses. I can try to explain what it's like habitatwise. Every house has a grass front lawn and backyard filled with grass. Basically, everything is grass. But behind my house there's a swamp that floods during spring and fall and tons of frogs and Camponotus nearcticus in the swamp. Behind the house there's a powerline and then house behind that powerline. Along the border of the powerline and the swamp there's TONS of ants. Lasius americanus, Acanthomyops species, Dolichoderus, Temnothorax ambiguus in grass reeds, Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus subbarbatus... Every species you could imagine, and I consider myself lucky for that. But on the grass fields of the front lawns and backyards bordering the swamp there tends to be Lasius brevicornis and I believe Lasius latipes take off either from the swamp or on the border of the swamp by the backyards. So, there's a huge mix of trees, grass, and nice open area. I'll try and find out where the latipes queens take off from to give you a more in depth look into what environment to find them in but that's all I can say since I'm not sure where they come from besides the swamp.

Lucky, you live in an ant paradise lol. Thanks for the info

Wishlist:

#9 Offline NicholasP - Posted November 2 2022 - 7:28 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Unfortunately, these queens all died. But I hope to recontinue this journal next year. Until then, keep loving your ants guys!

#10 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted November 3 2022 - 7:53 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Wait when you caught the hosts,did you just dump them in the test tube with the queen?

#11 Offline NicholasP - Posted November 3 2022 - 11:25 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Wait when you caught the hosts,did you just dump them in the test tube with the queen?

No. But as Lasius latipes use a swarm method to get accepted which is when they purposefully get workers to swarm on them, I decided to do 5 hosts to start the queens out and then a few minutes later some more, and more. And they were fine with the workers. It's that the queens were just too dumb to stay in the nest. They kept wandering out of the nest and stayed outside. So next year I have a better solution to this problem, and I will be making a maze that the queens will struggle to get out of because the queens wandering is what got them killed as the workers tried to feed them, but they kept wandering.

#12 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted January 8 2023 - 12:59 PM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

That is a great idea! Latipes and other thin bodied parasitic queens like thin tunnels so if there is a worker that just doesn't care and wants to kill her, they can go down a narrow tunnel and lose them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users