• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants have lots of room in their new nest, but some prefer to pile up on the rock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted August 14 2022 - 5:22 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I normally find them like this each morning. They are all on the same side of the rock in a pile. Do they just really long to have a satellite nest? They could all fit in the big nest. They moved to this new nest about 3 days ago. 

• FinWins likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 14 2022 - 6:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Myrmy’s Law: ants will always do the opposite of what you want or expect them to do.
  • futurebird and FinWins like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted August 14 2022 - 7:39 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Could it be that the outworld is warmer then the nest and the ants are try to get as warm as possible. Or it maybe that all those ants like to be under something and feel protected while they wait for food to come.
  • futurebird likes this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted August 14 2022 - 7:57 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It is most likely a temperature thing. Probably the same reason they're all on one side of the nest.

Stones are very good heat storages and stay warm long after the sun has gone down.

Wouldn't be surprised if at some point they start piling up pupae next to or under that rock.

• futurebird likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users