• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! Workers attacking adopted queen!

questions ant keeping ants antstopia lasius garden ants lasius neoniger help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 10 2022 - 8:00 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hi everyone. I caught a Lasius queen ant the other day. She did not look like Lasius Neoniger or Lasius Americanus. She has a black head and a black gaster but a red thorax and she's larger than the usual L. Niger or L. Neoniger. Anyway she laid eggs in a tube right after. I lifted up a rock the next day and got a lot of Lasius Neoniger cocoons. I got say 200? She hatched one and then the worker just started hatching worker after worker. Then while I was playing the piano I guess the colony felt the vibrations the workers started attacking her for no reason! The workers started biting her legs and then she killed a worker. I took her out and put her in my fridge and the colony and they turned docile. After their short calmness they started attacking the queen again. I finally put the queen in vinegar to wipe her scent. The workers started attacking her again so I just gave up and closed the colonies lid. Couple hours later I open the colony to see 2 dead workers and her sitting on the brood pile happily while the workers were anxiously cleaning her. Then when one of my spray bottles fell an hour later the workers started attacking the queen again! It seems the vibrations cause this aggression. An hour later workers were cleaning her again. ???? I am so confused. Please help.
  • FinWins likes this

Keeper of no ants currently. Recently moved out of a state. Don’t worry I’ll me back in no time with hundreds of colonies. I hope.  :*(

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 10 2022 - 3:46 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If she's looking different, has a different color AND is larger, there's a chance she's not even Lasius at all but Formica, Nylanderia or something similar instead. The workers having trouble recognizing her as queen wouldn't be surprising then.

Edited by Serafine, August 10 2022 - 3:47 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 10 2022 - 4:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah I’d recommend posting some pics here if possible.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 10 2022 - 6:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If she's looking different, has a different color AND is larger, there's a chance she's not even Lasius at all but Formica, Nylanderia or something similar instead. The workers having trouble recognizing her as queen wouldn't be surprising then.

If she was indeed not even the same genus let alone species as the workers, then the workers could care less whether she's a queen or not. If they could think like us and could recognize she's a queen, they'd probably be going, "Nice, a queen; all the more nutrition for us," or "That's one potential competition down. Now how many more alien dealates were there this season? 39? Excellent, only 4 more to go."

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 11 2022 - 5:43 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Well I guess that ends this post. Queen is DEAD. Missing like 4 legs and looks like her head is slightly pulled off. Here’s a picture of the workers. Could you guys please identify them? I would like to do a trade in my area if the workers are neoniger and get my hands on a queen.

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

They very much look like L. neoniger. But please try to identify. Thank you!

Keeper of no ants currently. Recently moved out of a state. Don’t worry I’ll me back in no time with hundreds of colonies. I hope.  :*(

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 11 2022 - 6:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can’t see the queen in any of those photos.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 11 2022 - 8:25 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Because I took her out. The dead body does not look good.

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted August 11 2022 - 8:57 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Because I took her out. The dead body does not look good.

The workers aren't really the issue, the unkown queen is.

If she was indeed not even the same genus let alone species as the workers, then the workers could care less whether she's a queen or not. If they could think like us and could recognize she's a queen, they'd probably be going, "Nice, a queen; all the more nutrition for us," or "That's one potential competition down. Now how many more alien dealates were there this season? 39? Excellent, only 4 more to go."

Even between different genera the queen pheromones might still be close enough to work in calm situations. Like there's at least one confirmed case of a Camponotus (i think it was herculeanus) queen using Formica rufa workers for colony founding.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 11 2022 - 10:01 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

True i am not the sure. I am almost certain that the workers are of L. Neoniger after doing more research. I have a friend who’s willing to give me a Lasius Neoniger for a Solenopsis Invicta queen. No idea why he wants a invicta queen. Those things are common here in Florida. I have like 28 queens. Anyway I’ll make a journal on this colony once I get the neoniger queen. I’ll try to add the queen to this colony. Any ideas on how to introduce her?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: questions, ant keeping, ants, antstopia, lasius, garden ants, lasius neoniger, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users