• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant safe adhesives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Moonlight_wolf - Posted August 5 2022 - 7:29 AM

Moonlight_wolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

So I have my ants in a tar heel ants mini hearth, And despite it being the type III material (the harder one) they seem to have started digging towards the edge that's near the front covered by the magnetically mounted glass on the front. I think that some of the material there was not as secure as the rest of the nest because they only seem to be digging in that one area. My anxious brain is worrying that they'll dig too close to the edge and then be able to squeeze their way out. So I was wondering if there was an ant safe adhesive that I could use to possibly glue a tiny piece of plexiglass onto the side to prevent this. I wouldn't want silicone because they're currently in the nest and I wouldn't want it to harm them even though the silicone would be used on the outside of the nest.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• FinWins likes this

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted August 5 2022 - 7:33 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
I would just use aquarium safe silicone, it’s what most ant keepers use.
  • Moonlight_wolf likes this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 5 2022 - 8:19 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationOregon

So I have my ants in a tar heel ants mini hearth, And despite it being the type III material (the harder one) they seem to have started digging towards the edge that's near the front covered by the magnetically mounted glass on the front. I think that some of the material there was not as secure as the rest of the nest because they only seem to be digging in that one area. My anxious brain is worrying that they'll dig too close to the edge and then be able to squeeze their way out. So I was wondering if there was an ant safe adhesive that I could use to possibly glue a tiny piece of plexiglass onto the side to prevent this. I wouldn't want silicone because they're currently in the nest and I wouldn't want it to harm them even though the silicone would be used on the outside of the nest.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it, likely just a pocket of sand they are digging out. I've seen this with my THA products and have never had them escape. Addtionally if you are super worried, contact THA and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you. 

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, August 5 2022 - 8:20 AM.

• Moonlight_wolf and FinWins like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 5 2022 - 9:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
100% silicone will NOT harm ants even while it cures with them inside. I’ve used it to stop jailbreaks many times.
  • Moonlight_wolf and FinWins like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Moonlight_wolf - Posted August 6 2022 - 12:36 PM

Moonlight_wolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Thanks! I’ll use some silicone if it seems that they are going to escape but it’s true that they might just be digging at sand pockets :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users