• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Just Caught 19 Pogonomyrmex Queens

queens harvester pogonomyrmex

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Emmanuel - Posted July 19 2022 - 2:18 PM

Emmanuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I noticed a nuptial flight in my yard yesterday, brought out my test tubes and a UV light and caught 19 queens. Now I'm looking at feeding and caring for them, will keep a few for outworlds or towers and sell the rest.  What do you recommend, this is my first big catch and I have been keeping ants for two years?   I have honey  and seeds.

Attached Images

• 20220719_151522.jpg

• smares and FinWins like this

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted July 19 2022 - 2:24 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Dang, I knew it, I thought that Pogonomyrmex would be flying yesterday and I missed out

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Online dspdrew - Posted July 19 2022 - 2:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If it was Socal, it must be P. subnitidus. I actually caught some about a month ago. Strange they're flying again.

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted July 19 2022 - 2:46 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Actually where I’m at I have P. californicus and P. magnacanthus at my local park.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#5 Online dspdrew - Posted July 19 2022 - 2:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This is awfully late for P. californicus.

#6 Online dspdrew - Posted July 19 2022 - 2:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Actually, where are you located specifically?

#7 Online dspdrew - Posted July 20 2022 - 9:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Obviously the desert or the P. magnacanthus are misidentified. Not sure where all-red P. californicus would be in the desert.

#8 Offline FinWins - Posted July 20 2022 - 9:45 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Well I caught two different species of Pogonomyrmex I know that one is P. californicus and the other species is much smaller and all red

#9 Online dspdrew - Posted July 20 2022 - 5:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well I caught two different species of Pogonomyrmex I know that one is P. californicus and the other species is much smaller and all red

Still have no idea where this happened. Are you near the coast or in the desert?

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted July 20 2022 - 5:23 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
So I’m located in northern San Diego county and the P. californicus are the bicolor variant but not the complete black gaster one they still have some red on their gasters.

#11 Offline Emmanuel - Posted July 25 2022 - 7:00 PM

Emmanuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  Hi Drew, you're my hero, I'm honored you are commenting on my first post!

I'm in North County San Diego, near Fallbrook and Bonsall.  We're in an oak riparian wetland, with some open grassy fields (mostly mustard).  I haven't been doing this long enough to know what species they are, but they're definitely harvesters.

I caught another 6 queens the next day, and now have 21 total.  I fed them all a dollop of hard honey/comb and some birdseed.  They all seem to be laying eggs, and are eating the honey.  I think they might be getting moldy though, how do I know and what do I do if they are molding?  I sterilized the tubes before I put them in, but I'm worried they may have been contaminated while I was feeding.

I'll post pictures shortly.

#12 Offline Emmanuel - Posted July 25 2022 - 7:10 PM

Emmanuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

here are the pics one queen is dead and one has escaped

Attached Images

• 20220725_200232_HDR.jpg
  • 20220725_200203_HDR.jpg
  • 20220725_200242_HDR.jpg
  • 20220725_200136_HDR.jpg
  • 20220725_200141_HDR.jpg

#13 Online dspdrew - Posted July 25 2022 - 7:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They're probably P. subnitidus. If you look at them very closely and see spines (the thorn like things on the back) like in the picture, then you'll know.

casent0005721_p_1_high.jpg

#14 Offline mmcguffi - Posted July 26 2022 - 11:09 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I think they might be getting moldy though, how do I know and what do I do if they are molding?  I sterilized the tubes before I put them in, but I'm worried they may have been contaminated while I was feeding.

I've never had a serious issues with letting tubes get moldy/bacteria-y, but in the future if you use distilled water you can drastically increase the amount of time until contamination. Using those blue pva sponges instead of cotton also helps quite a bit

#15 Offline FinWins - Posted July 26 2022 - 12:10 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  Hi Drew, you're my hero, I'm honored you are commenting on my first post!

I'm in North County San Diego, near Fallbrook and Bonsall.  We're in an oak riparian wetland, with some open grassy fields (mostly mustard).  I haven't been doing this long enough to know what species they are, but they're definitely harvesters.

I caught another 6 queens the next day, and now have 21 total.  I fed them all a dollop of hard honey/comb and some birdseed.  They all seem to be laying eggs, and are eating the honey.  I think they might be getting moldy though, how do I know and what do I do if they are molding?  I sterilized the tubes before I put them in, but I'm worried they may have been contaminated while I was feeding.

I'll post pictures shortly.

I live near that area too and the Pogonomyrmex I caught are P. californicus and P. magnacanthus also I ID’d them and they are definitely P. magnacanthus. I will start another thread to in the case anyone has comments on the subject. magnacanthus look like.

#16 Offline Nikipedia - Posted July 26 2022 - 3:27 PM

Nikipedia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What should Emmanuel do about the mold. Can he transfer the queens to new tubes, even if they already have eggs? How do you avoid mold in the first place? Were his tubes too moist? Should the seeds not contact the wet cotton?

#17 Offline Emmanuel - Posted July 27 2022 - 7:23 AM

Emmanuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

just changed my profile pic just so you know.

#18 Offline Emmanuel - Posted July 27 2022 - 7:25 AM

Emmanuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

some of them have eggs stroon every should I be concerned about that?

#19 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted July 28 2022 - 8:46 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I wouldn't worry about the moldy water behind the cotton.  It is mainly there to provide moisture and humidity.  Pogonomyrmex are semi-claustral and plugging up the end of the test tube prevents them from scavenging for seed.  Best setup for them is to put the test tube in a box/foraging area with a cork at the end that has a drilled hole to allow them to come and go as they please.  In this kind of setup, you can also provide a 2nd clean test tube to allow them to move out of the dirty one.

Put the seed and water source outside in the foraging area.  I would also start with smaller seed like poppy, sesame, grass, etc.

Edited by Straywolf94, July 28 2022 - 8:48 AM.

#20 Offline Nikipedia - Posted July 28 2022 - 9:29 AM

Nikipedia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Are Pogonomyrmex polygynous? Will his remaining queens be able to forage in the same area, say, an outwirld?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queens, harvester, pogonomyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users