• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Assistance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted July 8 2022 - 5:42 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I have several founded camponotus chromaiodes colonies from earlier this year. Some were becoming difficult to feed in the tube setup, so I moved into tubes/cubes setups. One colony also moved into a 3d printed nest connected to the outworld. I noticed the colony in the 3d printed nest moved out and just fully in the outworld earlier today. I realized there is a problem and I need to work towards a solution. I attached a pic of the setup and colony outside of nest now.

I am currently keeping most of my colonies in my shop and the temperature/humidity out there I believe is starting to cause issues for this species. It is roughly 96F ish+ during evening and night.  Some other species, P. bicarinata, S. Richteri and Cromatagaster are doing great. 

Are there any recommendations to accommodate for this species? My house is between 75-65F and wasnt sure if that was too chilly for them. I do not have any rooms safe from Cats, so it would have to be a closet or something similar if indoors.

Attached Images

• 95414D01-3FAB-4C0E-8003-01910D42ABF5.jpeg

Edited by DarkCerebral, July 8 2022 - 5:43 PM.

#2 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 8 2022 - 7:53 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
If it is negatively affecting them, you could try to move them indoors. I think around 70 is good for them, but 65 is on the lower limits of normal.

#3 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted July 8 2022 - 8:12 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

If it is negatively affecting them, you could try to move them indoors. I think around 70 is good for them, but 65 is on the lower limits of normal.

that's my only guess is the temp and humidity. All of my Camponotus seems to be struggling in the shop. My Castaneous ate all their eggs once it got too hot. 

I have moved them into a closet in the house and they immediately went back into the nest. Interesting.

Edited by DarkCerebral, July 8 2022 - 9:20 PM.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2022 - 3:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Not a lot of people have much success with chromaiodes or castaneus for some reason. Moving them inside with a heat cable to create a temperature gradient may help. Brood boosting could also help if you can find wild colonies.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted July 9 2022 - 5:40 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

chromaiodes just grow soooo slowly and they are deeply shy. 
The queens are so cute though I don't mind. But yea... even my half-crazed Formica subsericea ants with the queen who freaks out all the time have more advanced brood. 

chromaiodes just have a little pile of eggs and a little pile of very small larvae. And its been that way for almost three weeks. They are all fat and seem healthy... but not booming.

• ANTdrew likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2022 - 6:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The queens are so cute though I don't mind. But yea... even my half-crazed Formica subsericea ants with the queen who freaks out all the time have more advanced brood.

chromaiodes just have a little pile of eggs and a little pile of very small larvae. And its been that way for almost three weeks. They are all fat and seem healthy... but not booming.

Exactly. C. castaneus are even slower.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 9 2022 - 8:08 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio

For castaneus, this depends a lot on where they are from. For example, Florida castaneus can sometimes reach 100 or more workers before diapause, provided they are fed often and heated. Personally, I haven't noticed chromaiodes to be slower than any of the other large Camponotus, but I'm sure that varies by population a little too!

• ANTdrew likes this

#8 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted July 21 2022 - 6:49 AM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Update: I have moved 2 of the colonies into a closet for now. I do not have an outlet for heating cable but the door closed is a decent temperature in there. Both colonies have moved into their nest and appear to be much better off. Other Camponotus colonies will follow once they are a few more workers. 

Attached Images

• 290DC815-9E66-48C2-BF00-427A8B5D35AC.jpeg

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 21 2022 - 6:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

so that was why i was confused when my castaneus queen i had a while ago seemed to be doing nothing...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#10 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted July 31 2022 - 7:11 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Update 3. 

I have moved more of my Camponotus colonies into the closet. I am slowly getting them back in order and starting back growing. 

This is a picture of the original colony and how well they have bounced back. There are several in the  outworld also. So we are looking around 15-18 workers currently.

Attached Images

• 57C53686-28E1-4953-B413-871EA2E0D1D6.jpeg

• ANTdrew, futurebird and FloridaAnts like this

#11 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted August 5 2022 - 6:46 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Update #4: Camponotus Closet is coming along slowly but surely. I still am having issues getting a few of them to adjust and move into their nests. But the ones that have moved into their nest have all stages of the next gen ready and soon to eclose. 

Attached Images

• 63537BFA-71D2-4793-8FDD-C6C63F23E29A.jpeg

Edited by DarkCerebral, August 5 2022 - 7:55 PM.

#12 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted August 5 2022 - 11:49 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChurch Hill, Tennessee, USA

May I ask, did you print your own nests or where did you get those. They seem really nice. 

#13 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted August 13 2022 - 1:26 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Update #5. Exciting new today. I checked a few of my remaining C. Castaneus have now laid eggs again. So there is still hope to succeed with one of them. This move into cooler climate was a huge success for these.

May I ask, did you print your own nests or where did you get those. They seem really nice. 

I do design and print all of my own nests. I'm constantly tweaking and experimenting with new idea. I have a new one I just designed and am testing as a earlier this week. Image attached.

Attached Images

• D63269E8-D9E1-4982-AB41-6D8BE3C21BD4.jpeg
  • 4E92F7AA-D529-4B82-BBDE-06D9B6BAD728.jpeg

• UtahAnts, FloridaAnts and Valkyrie04 like this

#14 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 13 2022 - 3:59 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Chromaiodes are the quickest growing species of native Camponotus I have kept. This species also gets considerably more nanitics than other ones, averaging around 10-15. My best queen this year is on track to get 20+ nanitics. Unlike pennsylvanicus and castaneus, chromaiodes will explode in the 2nd year instead of 3rd year.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users