• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Workers or secondary queen?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 27 2022 - 10:22 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Hello! Yesterday, while wandering through a grassy field(some trees and palms, I found a trap jaw ant queen under a piece of rotting wood. That’s not important, what is, is I snapped the stick open looking for brood, but I found two termites. One ivory white, and the other tan with a little grey on it.

Here are some pictures, they are 4-6mm.

Are they a founding pair or workers?(Yes only two were in the stick)

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2022 - 11:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Not reproductives.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 27 2022 - 12:12 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Not reproductives.

So should I give them to the Odontomachus or can they become reproductives?

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2022 - 12:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You want at least 100+ termites including nymphs to try to get secondary reproductives. Just feed these to your ants.
  • FloridaAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 27 2022 - 12:44 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Well actually both are secondary reproductive either a nymphoid or an ergatoid,  the details of differentiation are requiring closer images of genitalia. This diagnosis is based on the lower individual having clear wing pads while both individuals have wide thoracic regions, wider than generally found in workers.  A worker would have a thin waste between the pronotum and mesonotum.

Edited by PurdueEntomology, June 27 2022 - 12:51 PM.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#6 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 28 2022 - 4:47 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Well actually both are secondary reproductive either a nymphoid or an ergatoid, the details of differentiation are requiring closer images of genitalia. This diagnosis is based on the lower individual having clear wing pads while both individuals have wide thoracic regions, wider than generally found in workers. A worker would have a thin waste between the pronotum and mesonotum.

Alright, I thought it was suspicious I found these two alone, and happened to be founding on top of two Odontomachus Brunneas queens. Lucky stick… does it matter which if the two they are? Or should I try to get pictures? It would be quite difficult when they are alive…

How should I raise them? In a normal termite setup? My glass tubes are quite large, is plastic tubes okay?(Sorry for all the questions)

And ANTdrew, I caught about 40-50 termite workers in a log. Will this do?

Edited by FloridaAnts, June 28 2022 - 4:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users