• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Attaching a new outworld?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted June 23 2022 - 1:36 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

So, I have a problem, I have an ant colony that needs a new outworld, and I have an outworld, however, when I want to attach it to their nest, they get aggitated and try to escape, and since it's a small nest, they can escape very fast lest I plug the blocker back in. Wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to slow them down by refrigerating them for a day or so and then attach the outworld?

• futurebird likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can you keep the old outworld on and attach the new one on another side or something? You could more easily deal with the old outworld if the ants are excitedly exploring a new one with more space. Chilling the ants would work, too, but you don’t need an entire day for that.
  • NPLT and futurebird like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted June 23 2022 - 6:41 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

1. Large plastic tub method: Get a large plastic tub, like the big boxes for organizing closets. Line the sides with fluon. Put the whole nest in the tub. Make the changes. Keep the aspirator handy in case any escape the tub. Then asperate all of the ants who escaped in the tub when you are done attaching things. Just accept that some ants will get out. Have a plant to capture them.

2. Cold treatment Method: This is less safe than the plastic tub as making ants cold could have an impact on their health. But you can always put your ants in the fridge and child them to make them slower. Then you can make modifications with ease. You don't need to leave them in for a day! that's too long. They should be plenty slow and miserable after about 90 min. But avoid this if you have other options. 

One other tip is to have cotton stoppers made up and handy when disconnecting the tubes. 

Edited by futurebird, June 23 2022 - 6:43 AM.

• ANTdrew and NPLT like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#4 Offline NPLT - Posted June 23 2022 - 10:51 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Can you keep the old outworld on and attach the new one on another side or something? You could more easily deal with the old outworld if the ants are excitedly exploring a new one with more space. Chilling the ants would work, too, but you don’t need an entire day for that.

I'm sort of forced to keep the old outworld since they're in a Tar Heel Ants nest :P.

1. Large plastic tub method: Get a large plastic tub, like the big boxes for organizing closets. Line the sides with fluon. Put the whole nest in the tub. Make the changes. Keep the aspirator handy in case any escape the tub. Then asperate all of the ants who escaped in the tub when you are done attaching things. Just accept that some ants will get out. Have a plant to capture them.

2. Cold treatment Method: This is less safe than the plastic tub as making ants cold could have an impact on their health. But you can always put your ants in the fridge and child them to make them slower. Then you can make modifications with ease. You don't need to leave them in for a day! that's too long. They should be plenty slow and miserable after about 90 min. But avoid this if you have other options. 

One other tip is to have cotton stoppers made up and handy when disconnecting the tubes. 

I, er, I don't have an aspirator, or a tub, so I'm gonna make em colder. It shouldn't kill them right? I'm only gonna cool them to 15 degrees celcius.

Edited by NPLT, June 23 2022 - 10:51 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#5 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 23 2022 - 10:58 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I'm sort of forced to keep the old outworld since they're in a Tar Heel Ants nest :P.

I, er, I don't have an aspirator, or a tub, so I'm gonna make em colder. It shouldn't kill them right? I'm only gonna cool them to 15 degrees celcius.
If this helps, my agressive C. Floridanus tend to be cowards when a nest entrance is opened. Majors stay back, and 5-10 nanitics get out in a 10 second period.

Also, not sure if my fault, but every colony refrigeratate at the right temps, often die if put on heat a day later. If you heat them, maybe wait a few days before heating them again.
  • NPLT likes this

#6 Offline NPLT - Posted June 23 2022 - 11:01 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

If this helps, my agressive C. Floridanus tend to be cowards when a nest entrance is opened. Majors stay back, and 5-10 nanitics get out in a 10 second period.

Also, not sure if my fault, but every colony refrigeratate at the right temps, often die if put on heat a day later. If you heat them, maybe wait a few days before heating them again.

Well, the colony in question is Formica rufibarbis, so not sure how much that applies, and I don't heat them.

• FloridaAnts likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#7 Offline NPLT - Posted June 23 2022 - 2:38 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Update: Managed to do it both without freezing and without escapees.

• futurebird, m99 and FloridaAnts like this

Um, uh, Ants!

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 3:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I knew you could do it.
  • NPLT and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline NPLT - Posted June 24 2022 - 6:12 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I knew you could do it.

Turns out the solution was to just use a flashlight to actually see what I'm doing, and moving fast.

Edited by NPLT, June 24 2022 - 6:16 AM.

• futurebird and FloridaAnts like this

Um, uh, Ants!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users