• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica subsericea queen is miserable in every nest.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted June 20 2022 - 7:13 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I have a Formica subsericea queen and she has never seemed settled in any nest. Even though the colony has slowly grown to about 30 ants they have been unhappy in a tubes and tubs set up, unhappy in a plaster mini hearth from tarheel (which most ants like) unhappy in a flat little nest. I'm trying a dirt nest now and hoping it will work.

I know she's unhappy since she runs out of the nest when there is a loud noise or if I bump the lid. I have put them in the bedroom on an isolated dark shelf to try to calm them... but she's still a nervous wreck. 

Also they never set the eggs down, her workers always hold the eggs and larvae as if they might need to run from danger at any moment. 

I really hope this dirt nest will do the trick. They are in two test tubes now and I've placed them in their new home. 

Why am I so bad at caring for this species?

I've never had any other queen run out of her nest like this. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 20 2022 - 7:36 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
in my experience, some colonies seem to be more sensitive to disturbances than others. It doesn’t really affect them though, and all the colonies I’ve had do this are perfectly healthy otherwise.

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 21 2022 - 4:39 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Some queens are just skittish, it doesn't mean the nest is unsuitable. My Formica subaenescens and Pogonomyrmex occidentalis queens run out every time there's a slight disturbance. I've even had wild F. subsericea queens bolt away from the nest when I disturbed it.
  • Manitobant, Ants_Dakota, futurebird and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted June 22 2022 - 7:47 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Mine are all very nervous too. I've seen them go berserk when I've coughed near the nest. Same with my pallidefulva. In my yard I have these two species plus Formica pergandei which routinely raid the nests of the other two species for brood, so I understand why they're so jumpy. I've found they are a little more relaxed as the colony grows but they still very nervous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users