• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nigrocincta doesn't want her larvae

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline luccat82 - Posted May 27 2022 - 3:19 PM

luccat82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi,

I have posted this already on the General Ant Keeping thread, but I thought this would be more appropriate as more people would/might relate to the species here

I was wondering if someone has experienced this as well.

My Myrmecia nigrocincta queen seems to be rejecting one of her 3 larvae. She had been caring for them for maybe about 2 1/2 weeks and now she has put one of them out of the tube and into the big outworld. I have her in a Bull ant den with a red plexiglass viewer for privacy.

I tried putting the reject closer to the tube in a smaller outworld, but a few minutes later when I came back into the room to check on them, instead of putting the larvae back into the tube with the other 2, she had placed it out into the bigger outworld the den is connected to.

I've got no workers yet. These are the first ones being cared by her.

She's also been rejecting the small crickets she used to feed her larvae, but I'm sure that's normal when larvae are about to pupate (or around the time of) and they would stop consuming food.

She's got food and ideal temperatures.

Temp in the den would be around the 22° - 23°C

Thanks in advance

#2 Offline PaigeX - Posted June 16 2022 - 2:59 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Hi,

I have posted this already on the General Ant Keeping thread, but I thought this would be more appropriate as more people would/might relate to the species here

I was wondering if someone has experienced this as well.

My Myrmecia nigrocincta queen seems to be rejecting one of her 3 larvae. She had been caring for them for maybe about 2 1/2 weeks and now she has put one of them out of the tube and into the big outworld. I have her in a Bull ant den with a red plexiglass viewer for privacy.

I tried putting the reject closer to the tube in a smaller outworld, but a few minutes later when I came back into the room to check on them, instead of putting the larvae back into the tube with the other 2, she had placed it out into the bigger outworld the den is connected to.

I've got no workers yet. These are the first ones being cared by her.

She's also been rejecting the small crickets she used to feed her larvae, but I'm sure that's normal when larvae are about to pupate (or around the time of) and they would stop consuming food.

She's got food and ideal temperatures.

Temp in the den would be around the 22° - 23°C

Thanks in advance

It seems that one brood has died or did not spin the cocoon, so she rejected it. It happens with mine too. Hard to found because of it. I've had mine for 3-4 months now and the same thing keeps happening. I heard its even harder for them in the wild. Just keep up with the protein and honey. keep trying. 

• luccat82 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users