• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dan's Camponotus us-ca02 journal

65 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 21 2022 - 7:05 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
Hi everyone! This is my first journal about my ca02 colony.

I got 2 single queens around April 14th for $70. When I first got them in the mail, they both came with eggs, however, one of the queens had her eggs scattered so I initially thought she was infertile. After they settled in, both got their eggs in neat little piles which was reassuring.

Today, both have nanitics! Queen 1 (very creative, I know) has 3 nanitics, she got her first on May 18th. Queen 2 got her first today, May 21st.

They both have a decent amount of pupae and once they reach 5 workers I will put them in a tubs and tubes set up, as feeding them in testtubes seem to freak them out a lot.

I'm really excited for majors because of how large I've seen them get!!406cff5e8ded3d509fd5ae7971c79de0.jpg51e7d94cc13bbb28c480a098f878f857.jpg177ae8b326f9ae4ce710d56d968223b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
  • smares, Devi, That_one_ant_guy and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

Pogonomyrmex Imberbiculus (PLEASEEEEE)

#2 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted May 21 2022 - 7:13 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Nice!
  • Dan_Not_Found likes this

#3 Offline United-Ants - Posted May 21 2022 - 8:55 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Pretty ants!
  • smares and Dan_Not_Found like this

#4 Offline lazyant - Posted May 21 2022 - 10:15 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

S e l l m e o n e...........Really jealous, hopefully will find some soon!

• Dan_Not_Found, ColAnt735 and Tai_pan1 like this

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#5 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 21 2022 - 10:24 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California

S e l l m e o n e...........Really jealous, hopefully will find some soon!

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#6 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 21 2022 - 10:27 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Haha, I’m pretty sure Nurbs is still selling single queens for $35 each if you’re willing to buy a few. 

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#7 Offline lazyant - Posted May 21 2022 - 10:34 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Haha, I’m pretty sure Nurbs is still selling single queens for $35 each if you’re willing to buy a few. 

Really can't find the thread?

#8 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 21 2022 - 11:02 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
https://www.formicul...eens-available/

This should be the link
  • lazyant likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#9 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 23 2022 - 4:18 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
Quick update, queen 1 and 2 have 3 nanitics!! Another thing I've noticed is how queen 2's workers seem to have a lighter pigment compared to queen 1's workers. I initially thought this was due to their exoskeleton not fully hardening, however as time passed by their lighter color seems to have remained. I wonder if this will be seen when the colony gets larger or if its just the nanitics that's are special.

I was checking up on my mealworm farm today, and I noticed these little red dots scattered across the bottom of the container. There seems to be a lot and I haven't noticed these in any previous farms I've had. Anyone have any idea what they are?0826b99ff97ded85787aee5cad3512fe.jpgcbf0b366915e5bd63a45d467baddd80b.jpg38fe31d254bd865a9ff1479aa9bbb38f.jpg5393acf2211b879c612fb74b1fb0a5ae.jpg

• lazyant likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#10 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 23 2022 - 4:30 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
Another quick question, do you guys think a queen of this species would be able to fit through the entrance of a mini hearth?e84b2038c0d53fe7e51301ca1ca0fc0e.jpg

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 23 2022 - 4:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If in doubt, you can pull out that tubing with pliers to widen the entrance.
  • Dan_Not_Found, ColAnt735 and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline lazyant - Posted May 23 2022 - 4:50 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Quick update, queen 1 and 2 have 3 nanitics!! Another thing I've noticed is how queen 2's workers seem to have a lighter pigment compared to queen 1's workers. I initially thought this was due to their exoskeleton not fully hardening, however as time passed by their lighter color seems to have remained. I wonder if this will be seen when the colony gets larger or if its just the nanitics that's are special.

I was checking up on my mealworm farm today, and I noticed these little red dots scattered across the bottom of the container. There seems to be a lot and I haven't noticed these in any previous farms I've had. Anyone have any idea what they are?0826b99ff97ded85787aee5cad3512fe.jpgcbf0b366915e5bd63a45d467baddd80b.jpg38fe31d254bd865a9ff1479aa9bbb38f.jpg5393acf2211b879c612fb74b1fb0a5ae.jpg

Hmm, maybe its weird looking poo- FECES I MEAN! Best guess never seen that in my 6 years working with meal worms

• Dan_Not_Found, ColAnt735 and FloridaAnts like this

#13 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 24 2022 - 7:31 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Another quick question, do you guys think a queen of this species would be able to fit through the entrance of a mini hearth?

It definitely can. I have had C. chromaiodes queens fit through much smaller tubing and there are several journals on here in which show CA-02 queens going through that tubing.

• Dan_Not_Found and FloridaAnts like this

#14 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 24 2022 - 12:56 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Another quick question, do you guys think a queen of this species would be able to fit through the entrance of a mini hearth?

It definitely can. I have had C. chromaiodes queens fit through much smaller tubing and there are several journals on here in which show CA-02 queens going through that tubing.
Camponotus socius fit… My queen is 20mm at this time, and assuming Camponotus CA-02 queens are around 20mm(Edit)then she should fit. It all depends on head width… If the head can fit, the body can fit(Usually)

Edited by FloridaAnts, May 24 2022 - 1:30 PM.

#15 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 24 2022 - 1:10 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Camponotus socius fit… My queen is 20mm at this time, and assuming Camponotus CA-02 queens are 15-17mm(That’s what people had in their journals) then she should fit. It all depends on head width… If the head can fit, the body can fit(Usually)

Camponotus CA-02 queens get over 20mm in length.

Edited by YsTheAnt, May 24 2022 - 1:10 PM.

• Dan_Not_Found and FloridaAnts like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#16 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 24 2022 - 1:29 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Camponotus socius fit… My queen is 20mm at this time, and assuming Camponotus CA-02 queens are 15-17mm(That’s what people had in their journals) then she should fit. It all depends on head width… If the head can fit, the body can fit(Usually)

Camponotus CA-02 queens get over 20mm in length.

Did not know that, I was basing measurements off peoples journals. Sorry if there was any confusion.
  • Dan_Not_Found likes this

#17 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 25 2022 - 4:01 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
No pictures today, but queen 1 has 4 nanitics (yay!). I'll likely move queen 1 into a mini hearth and queen 2 into a tubs and tubes set up over the weekend. Hope it goes well :D

• Dumpling, Tai_pan1 and FloridaAnts like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#18 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted May 28 2022 - 5:49 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
Move was successful! I ended up moving queen 2 into a fallen fortress instead because it would make my life easier in general.
Queen 1 now has 5 nanitics :D

Sry for the crummy photos, I'll try to get better ones later since I'm pretty burned out rn from school.

The fortress looks pretty big for them rn, but I'm positive they'll grow into it soon just because if their sheer size.8ce42835a06f3e85528d6dc82135bc0c.jpgfb52244bef0500e83471351b3e36337f.jpg

• ZTYguy, futurebird, m99 and 3 others like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

#19 Offline futurebird - Posted May 28 2022 - 6:23 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

They look like miniture Dinomyrmex gigas... If only I didn't live out east. 

• ZTYguy, Dan_Not_Found, lazyant and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#20 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted June 8 2022 - 4:41 PM

Dan_Not_Found

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLA, California
Update time!
Let's start with the Mini Hearth (MH) queen, she currently has 6 workers with around 2 pupae. The queen did just lay a bunch of eggs that hatched into larvae pretty recently! Hopefully they'll grow a lot during this summer.
I fed them a darkling beetle today (since my "mealworm farm" doesn't have any mealworms yet), and they were aggressive towards it which was really interesting. Almost all of my previous ants I've kept were extremely timid at this size, if not even larger. The queen was also getting involved which was interesting to see. After around a minute they calmed down and they seem to like the beetle!

As for the Fortress Queen, she currently has 4 workers. She is supposed to have 5 but unfortunately one escaped :(
Despite the escapee, I did learn something. These ants are EXTREMELY fast. I always imagined camponotus, especially the larger variants, to be fairly slow or quick at best. These girls are lightning quick.
I recall reading something about OhNoNotAgain's journal, and how his fraggles can launch themselves over the fluon barrier. Well, the same thing happened to me a few days ago. For context the Fluon barrier is also 1 inch thick and I made sure all the corners were covered...

Anyways here are some pictures I managed to get on the MH colony :D82d71996e7f65a19c8f5f0f3bbe2370c.jpg5f47d16c4e0844009b73ca5024ca7988.jpg066128a80375677351edcb06c53c3efc.jpgd5a1b044e0bccbd950f90440e1b8dc6b.jpg

• m99 and FloridaAnts like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Myrmecocystus Navajo

Want:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users