• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How many lonely lost ants are wandering your home?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted May 4 2022 - 11:03 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

As I've mentioned before my Camponotus discolor ants had a big breakout about 10 days ago and, thought I got most of them at the time... I keep finding these girls even days later. 

Today I found two of them in the bedroom on the other side of the house! A major and a minor just sitting together, they were clearly weak and dehydrated. I caught them and feed them then returned them to to home.

Most ants just try to go back in their nest when lost but not these two... they went on an adventure!

So how many lost girls do each of you think that you might have?

• NancyZamora4991 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted May 4 2022 - 11:13 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

As I've mentioned before my Camponotus discolor ants had a big breakout about 10 days ago and, thought I got most of them at the time... I keep finding these girls even days later. 

Today I found two of them in the bedroom on the other side of the house! A major and a minor just sitting together, they were clearly weak and dehydrated. I caught them and feed them then returned them to to home.

Most ants just try to go back in their nest when lost but not these two... they went on an adventure!

So how many lost girls do each of you think that you might have?

This is funny because on Monday I found an Acromyrmex worker in my bathroom on the other side of my house to where her nest was! I don't know how she escaped and how many escaped.

• futurebird likes this

#3 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2022 - 3:04 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I had a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony that escaped. Not completly but, I found so many workers and majors around the sink. One of those workers managed to escape, it full on launched itself of the sink to never be seen again (unless she returned home)

• futurebird and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 4 2022 - 3:33 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
I have so many stray Acromyrmex workers that I find around my room.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users