• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ISO North-Eastern California Anting Group

california el dorado county northern california eastern california anting queen hunting nuptial flights ant collecting group social el dorado anting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major_Nubbins - Posted March 18 2022 - 11:18 PM

Major_Nubbins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEl Dorado County, California
TLDR: I'm looking to join, or form, a social hunting group with local hobbiests in the NorCal Foothills area. Specifically up and down the HWY 50 and 80 corridor.

It's about that time of year again. Nuptial flights are on the horizon, and I'm eager and excited to see them emerge.
This will be my third season since joining the hobby, and my previous two years have been either poorly planned or riddled with the tragedy of trial and error. After catching quite a few promising queens last year in the valley, I unfortunately discovered that the climate and change in elevation is dire to a new queen.

This year I hope I may approach this in a different light. Either by finding fellow queen hunters in my area to join, or starting a social group and hunt together. Sticking close to the same roots our queens were born from.
A multitude of eyes is far better than two (or in my case, four... 🤓), and I would love to find a group of individuals who also share in the fascination of formiculture.

Specifics: I live just west of Placerville, CA in the lower foothills with my life partner and our two fur-balls. My kiddo visits on the weekends, while I slave away at a typical job that nobody likes during the week. The three of us have been going out the last two years and exploring hopeful hunting grounds, but could use the inspiration and companionship on our hunts. We would be happy to make friends and have them join us, or share their own hunting grounds.

I would also be interested in starting a trade network on this side of the valley, as there are many collectors and sellers opposite of us in all directions. On top of collecting and trading both live specimens and personal wisdom, I also have been 3D printing my own tweaked version of a founding chamber I found on Thingiverse.

So hey! If this sounds like a fun idea to anyone in the area, comment below or drop me a line! I'd be happy to chat and start planning for our first hunt of the season.

Bless.
Psychonaut Fabrication Welder.
Dudeist, Pastafarian, Nonconformist.
Formiculture hobbyist.
I trip on mushrooms and talk to my ants.
P.L.U.R.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: california, el dorado county, northern california, eastern california, anting, queen hunting, nuptial flights, ant collecting, group, social, el dorado anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users