• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntBoi’s Crematogaster cerasi journal

crematogaster cerasi journal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 4 2022 - 6:46 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
The beginning:
It all started when I received my crematogaster cerasi queen in the mail from State Side Ants. The queen came on 2/10/22, a little before my birthday. She arrived with around a dozen pupae and some of them looked extremely dark so I expected them to enclose the next day. Sure enough the next day she had one worker sprinting around. A few hours later and there were two workers! New workers enclosed through the course of a a week. Once all the workers enclosed the queen had began to lay eggs again.
Present 3/4/22:
The colony now numbers around a dozen workers. Some of their eggs had began to hatch a few days ago and now are growing rapidly. I’m feeding them fruit flies on a daily basis right now along with sugar water. I’m super excited about this colony and I really hope that they can grow a ton this season :D

Attached Images

• DC1E8A57-9EDE-4F81-91D8-3BA4C26DE237.jpeg
  • A8180AFD-7657-410F-95FF-C15301E58DBE.jpeg
  • 48F25E83-06F1-4CC4-9D0C-CF97B7742B95.jpeg

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 5 2022 - 3:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’re off to a great start! Remember what I’ve taught you about these: heat, heat, heat, and more protein than a body builder. My new colony should be ready soon as well.
  • Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 5 2022 - 6:38 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

They’re off to a great start! Remember what I’ve taught you about these: heat, heat, heat, and more protein than a body builder. My new colony should be ready soon as well.

The CrematoMaster's teachings should be cherished by all ant keepers all hail the CrematoMaster! - Sun Tzu the art of Raising giant colonies of Crematogaster. Jokes aside ANTdrew's Crematogaster knowledge particularly how to care for them is well beyond my own. Best of luck with these amazing ants AntBoi3030!

Edited by ColAnt735, March 5 2022 - 7:14 AM.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and 2 others like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#4 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 11 2022 - 6:18 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Update 3/11/22:
This little colony has been doing very well! The queen continues to lay plenty of eggs. The colony has a a good amount of pupae now along with a nice pile of larvae. This colony is crazy about sugar and are constantly in the outworld.

Attached Images

• D37D5093-FE79-484B-B013-19068F904A1A.png

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 12 2022 - 3:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nice colony! I just got a colony from SSA a few days ago. So our colonies are of the same batch!

• AntBoi3030 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 22 2022 - 4:07 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Update 3/22/22:
I counted 21 workers! It may not look like it in the photo but I counted twice and there were a lot of workers foraging. I left on a one week vacation so I wasn’t able to feed them daily for a week. when I came back I was greeted by the slightly larger second generation of workers along with lots of tiny larvae. I’ve been feeding them a few termites a day and they seem to really enjoy them.

Attached Images

• 89753E9C-2011-4FAD-A87F-8AF455EB7FDE.jpeg

Edited by AntBoi3030, March 22 2022 - 4:12 PM.

• ANTdrew, m99 and ColAnt735 like this

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 22 2022 - 5:03 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

hmmm, they seem so calm. I wonder when they start to go: TIME TO BREAK OUTTA HERE GIRLS! Nice colony :)

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 22 2022 - 5:04 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#8 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 22 2022 - 5:44 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

hmmm, they seem so calm. I wonder when they start to go: TIME TO BREAK OUTTA HERE GIRLS! Nice colony :)

Thanks. Yeah, they're pretty content right now in their classic test tube-out world setup. I definitely have plans for future expansion B).

#9 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 22 2022 - 6:17 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Thanks. Yeah, they're pretty content right now in their classic test tube-out world setup. I definitely have plans for future expansion B).

I can't wait for my Crematogaster cerasi queen to get workers! They seem so calm nothing like my Formica incerta.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#10 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 22 2022 - 6:18 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Enjoy the colony while it's small. I love keeping crematogaster when the colony is less then 100 workers but anything larger than that becomes increasingly difficult. My biggest recommendation is to buy fluon. It will make your life much easier than mine was, trying to use oil and vaseline to stop the hordes.

• ANTdrew and AntBoi3030 like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#11 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 22 2022 - 7:28 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Difficult? Could you please explain how?  I need to prepare myself haha.

#12 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 22 2022 - 8:16 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Basically if you don't have an effective barrier you won't be able to open the outworld without dozens of ants escaping. Even if you you do use fluon, the ants will still seek any weakness in the nest or outworld to escape. You should also have a good colony of mealworms or roaches on hand becuase these ants will need a lot of protien and sugar every day, especially if you heat them.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2022 - 2:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Difficult? Could you please explain how? I need to prepare myself haha.

Read my journal, then read it again.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#14 Offline antgallery - Posted March 23 2022 - 8:01 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Yep a good Outworld is key, I'm using a AC Outworld and it works great, for now. I haven't ever really had any escapees though, but my colony is also only on their second year. I think a 3D printed or Acrylic nest would be a good idea so they can't chew out.

#15 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 23 2022 - 5:07 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I just read it, what am I now? A CrematoApprentice  :D?

Yep a good Outworld is key, I'm using a AC Outworld and it works great, for now. I haven't ever really had any escapees though, but my colony is also only on their second year. I think a 3D printed or Acrylic nest would be a good idea so they can't chew out.

Noted, Thanks.

Edited by AntBoi3030, March 24 2022 - 12:35 PM.

#16 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 23 2022 - 5:33 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I just read it, what am I now? A CreamatoApprentice  :D?

Noted, Thanks.

CREAMATO?? What, now there's an ant named after a breed of cream and tomato?? ...sorry I had too :lol:

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 23 2022 - 5:39 PM.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2022 - 2:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The first step on the path is proper spelling.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#18 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 24 2022 - 4:51 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

The first step on the path is proper spelling.

Noted, Sensei.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster cerasi, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users