• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Why are permits to FL so hard to get?(Also where leafcutters)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 21 2022 - 6:09 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I know it’s not AE’s fault, but is it Becuase of Florida’s current RIFA situation?

Also, what happens to leafuctter form AE’s website? They have been completly removed.

Also, does anyone know if more ants to FL will be added soon?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 21 2022 - 6:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Florida is already overrun with all manner of noxious invasives, most of which were first brought in as pets. That’s why.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 21 2022 - 6:56 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Oh yes I suppose. Pyramid ants, Argentine ants, Odontomachus ruginodis, just to name a few I have kept.

P.S. Ruginodis is naturally occurring in flordia and did not come here by humans, so many consider it “exotic” and not invasive, meaning you can release it as it occurred naturally.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 22 2022 - 3:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t abbreviate Latin names if the other person doesn’t know what species you’re referring to.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 22 2022 - 9:00 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I know it’s not AE’s fault, but is it Becuase of Florida’s current RIFA situation?

Also, what happens to leafuctter form AE’s website? They have been completly removed.

Also, does anyone know if more ants to FL will be added soon?

Many non-native ants can become established in FL and become invasive, so they are more protective of their environment. Garrett is no longer selling A. versicolor and A. texana right now, so he has taken them off. You can ask him about your questions.

Most Dorymyrmex are native to Florida and O. ruginodis is invasive.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#6 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 22 2022 - 1:13 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Partially invasive, as it is not posing a threat. I read up on it once and apparently they are nor invasive or native, more of a naturally passive spreading ant.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 22 2022 - 1:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Something is either invasive or not. If if is invading a new area it was not present in before, then it is invasive.

#8 Offline AntsEmporium - Posted February 23 2022 - 12:41 PM

AntsEmporium

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Leaf cutters are off website because of daily emails regarding when they would be back in stock, and rather than answer those for the next 6 months, we decided it was best to remove them until we have them for sale again.

As for Florida ants, we can sell a few to Florida but are still waiting for approval on the rest. With Florida they make you send specimens of every species for proper identification by Florida Dep. of Ag.

• AnthonyP163 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#9 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 23 2022 - 4:15 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I thought invasive is inavsding an environment. It is simply been coming from tropical islands naturally and is coexisting unlike truly invasive s invicta

#10 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 23 2022 - 4:19 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Leaf cutters are off website because of daily emails regarding when they would be back in stock, and rather than answer those for the next 6 months, we decided it was best to remove them until we have them for sale again.
As for Florida ants, we can sell a few to Florida but are still waiting for approval on the rest. With Florida they make you send specimens of every species for proper identification by Florida Dep. of Ag.

Ok, thanks for filling me in!

#11 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 3 2022 - 5:44 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
It is going to be very ironic if Camponotus Floridanus can’t be shipped to Florida. Wouldn’t affect me though, I have one colony and the fast growing and aggressive Florida Carpenter ant colony, and trust me, one colony is enough.

Also, they are great for impatient people like me who like fast-growing colonies.

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, May 3 2022 - 5:45 AM.

#12 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 3 2022 - 2:51 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Oh yes I suppose. Pyramid ants, Argentine ants, Odontomachus ruginodis, just to name a few I have kept.

P.S. Ruginodis is naturally occurring in flordia and did not come here by humans, so many consider it “exotic” and not invasive, meaning you can release it as it occurred naturally.

That's... not what exotic means.

Exotic simply means that a species was introduced unnaturally to an area, and is typically used to refer to species with a mostly neutral affect on the environment they were introduced to.
Invasive means that the species is exotic, and is harmful to its environment.
Naturalized means that the species is exotic, however is not harmful to the environment and even fits in as if it were a native species.

That said, O. ruginodis are definitely exotic, and as far as I know, not naturalized, as they strongly outcompete the native O. brunneus.

Also, as for why FL permits are so hard to get, basically what antdrew said. FL has somewhere in the realm of 70-80 exotic ant species, and so the FL government really doesn't want to allow people to bring anything new in, for fear of yet another exotic species being introduced.

• ZTYguy likes this

#13 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 3 2022 - 2:55 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Agreed, Florida is honestly one of the worst places to get a permit due to the fact that there are so many invasive species in Florida. That doesn’t just include ants. This includes reptiles, amphibians, birds, mammals, and insects. 

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#14 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 3 2022 - 3:14 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
True, Asian ladybugs are all I find now. No native ladybugs…

Also, I believe you are correct, ruginodis is exotic. The reason it is a large deal to native Odontomachus(Don’t forget relictus :)! , is because as it is Odontomachus have a very limited range, and with competition, they may go away…. I need them to keep clearing out the invasive brachymyrmex, keep finding queens locked between jaws.

Also, keeping that in mind, I only have two native ant species, Camponotus socius and Floridanus…

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, May 3 2022 - 3:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users