• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild Ants in January

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cmaccionaodha - Posted January 21 2022 - 8:40 AM

cmaccionaodha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI
Yes I’m aware of the irony of this, but there’s now a colony of what I believe is T. immigrans living in my apartment. Woke up to find probably 300 had dug into my cat’s food bad and were literally everywhere. So… how would one go about capturing a wild colony in his apartment in the middle of winter
I can’t have them roaming wild, I have isopods who the ants would likely kill not to mention the risks of them getting into Felony’s food, so what are peoples’ opinions: just use traps to kill them all or should I try to catch them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Offline cmaccionaodha - Posted January 21 2022 - 8:43 AM

cmaccionaodha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI
Okay so I put this in the wrong forum, how do I delete a post

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 21 2022 - 9:06 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If its in an apartment, it is probably monomorium pharaonis, a common house infesting species. I've never heard of Tetramorium living in an apartment.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 21 2022 - 2:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Could be Tapinoma sessile, too. Not worth keeping.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 21 2022 - 4:15 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

We need photos.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#6 Offline cmaccionaodha - Posted January 21 2022 - 6:21 PM

cmaccionaodha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI
Manitobant is correct, they’re definitely Pharaoh ants. They literally tore through a plastic bag to get at the cat food! I’ve done a bit of research and it says it’s possible to find a queen out foraging so I’ve set up a test tube where they’ve been hiding out to see if anyone hunkers down a bit. I don’t wanna just exterminate them but pest ants… not a good look in my home

#7 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 21 2022 - 7:03 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I think you might be better off putting some honey down and your likely find a queen there :). They are apparently extremely hard to contain due to them being very good at escaping. I’d be careful choosing a setup.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 22 2022 - 3:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The colony probably has many, many queens. Finding one foraging won’t solve your problem. I suggest Terro poison gel baits.
  • gcsnelling likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 22 2022 - 12:58 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Bait is the only way to go  when trying to control.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users