• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The queen is dead…

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ape-o-sematic - Posted January 18 2022 - 10:42 AM

Ape-o-sematic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an established Lasius flavus colony and I’ve just found the queen has died, no idea why. The workers appear fine and seem to be carrying on as normal. I know this is almost certainly a no, but I have a new queen currently in hibernation, is there any way to combine the two or is the colony a lost cause?
  • Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 18 2022 - 11:45 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
It is probably a lost cause sadly. Queens of many species often die suddenly for no reason at all, and ants dying is a natural part of this hobby, so don’t hit yourself too hard if you are a beginner.
  • Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#3 Offline yaboiseth - Posted January 18 2022 - 4:26 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Do not throw out the colony or dead queen. Keep feeding the workers like normal. I had a Pheidole queen, my first ant queen ever, die out of nowhere with like 100 workers and I kept the colony fed and watered for a few more months just so they could pass of old age and my queen was just magically up and walking again, although she hasnt produced a single worker since then. I'm assuming she went sterile afterwards. I have asked everywhere and noone seems to have an answer to what happened with this queen but I guess its worth a shot.

• eea likes this

#4 Offline eea - Posted January 18 2022 - 4:34 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Do not throw out the colony or dead queen. Keep feeding the workers like normal. I had a Pheidole queen, my first ant queen ever, die out of nowhere with like 100 workers and I kept the colony fed and watered for a few more months just so they could pass of old age and my queen was just magically up and walking again, although she hasnt produced a single worker since then. I'm assuming she went sterile afterwards. I have asked everywhere and noone seems to have an answer to what happened with this queen but I guess its worth a shot.

that's weird

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users