• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Setup for Polyrhachis Australis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 17 2022 - 2:58 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Hi everyone, recently I found an ant shop in Australia selling Polyrhachis australis, a weaver ant species. I was just wondering if they need a plant to nest in, or can they just be kept in a normal formicarium as well? If they do need a plant to nest in, could I put a tall pot plant in this mesh enclosure and release them in there? Pop-up mesh enclosure (Large) - Minibeast Wildlife Bug Shop

And would that also work for Oecophylla weaver ants? I probably wouldn't get them though as they're quite aggressive and the colonies get pretty big.

Thanks!

• PaigeX likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 17 2022 - 10:01 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I’d ask some european antkeepers who have experience with polyrhachis dives. It should be quite similar.

#3 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 17 2022 - 10:19 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

If they're anything like dives, they should do ok in a normal formicarium. Thanks.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#4 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 18 2022 - 3:57 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Hi everyone, recently I found an ant shop in Australia selling Polyrhachis australis, a weaver ant species. I was just wondering if they need a plant to nest in, or can they just be kept in a normal formicarium as well? If they do need a plant to nest in, could I put a tall pot plant in this mesh enclosure and release them in there? Pop-up mesh enclosure (Large) - Minibeast Wildlife Bug Shop

And would that also work for Oecophylla weaver ants? I probably wouldn't get them though as they're quite aggressive and the colonies get pretty big.

Thanks!

They don't need a plant to nest in. I found and collected a wild colony that was nesting in foil insulation. 
Here is the set up i made for mine. They are doing very well in it. all they need is a lot of flat room.

IMG_20220116_193022_1.jpg

IMG_20211228_144315.jpg

• JCRHJM and Leptomyrmx like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users