• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Leptomyrmx's Myrmecia Mishaps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 9 2022 - 2:12 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Hi everyone. In this journal, I'll be recording all the close calls I have with wild Myrmecia, or Bull Ants, for your entertainment.

9th of January, 2022

Brushed past a tree, and a Myrmecia nigrocinta worker falls out and onto my shoulder. My stupid reflexes make me brush it off, and she lands on my sister's bare hand. Luckily nobody was stung, I couldn't believe it.

• Antkeeper01, NancyZamora4991, JCRHJM and 1 other like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline JCRHJM - Posted January 10 2022 - 4:56 AM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Nigrocincta used to scare the crap out of me especially because they can jump, to be honest they still do especially when they come close to my fingers. 

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#3 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 10 2022 - 3:52 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Yea when I got the one you gave to me she jumped at me when i put something into the container. Scared me a bit hahaha.
I also saw a small Myrmecia Chrysogaster worker yesterday and followed her to under a car we don't use. I'm guessing we have a new nest under there but I can't get to it to see. It was clearly a nanitics because of its size.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users