• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

why are my ants covering glass side of the formicarium with debris?

pogonomyrmex occidentalis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CrantockLad - Posted December 30 2021 - 4:34 PM

CrantockLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Greetings--

First-timer here. Santa just brought us our first ant colony. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, 1 queen and about 30 workers. They seem to be doing great.

We have noticed a strange behavior: they are depositing sand and debris on the glass side of the formicarium, which is irritating, because we'd like to see them better. So:

1) why are they doing this?

2) what's the best way to clean this off, without disturbing their habitat (and triggering a mass jailbreak?

Many thanks for any insights, and apologies if this is dumb question, I posted in the wrong place, etc

Chris 

Attached Images

• IMG_4197.JPG
  • IMG_4198.JPG

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 30 2021 - 4:39 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They are trying to block light. Use a piece of felt, a towel, or some cardboard to give the ants the darkness they’re looking for.
  • Otrebor707, Antkeeper01, PaigeX and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ryanp347 - Posted December 30 2021 - 7:40 PM

ryanp347

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley, California

Ya, logically blocking out light is the only thing that makes sense. Some ants are bothered by it, others aren't. These don't seem to be a fan! A red transparent film is supposed to work and still allow visibility.

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 30 2021 - 7:58 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Most ants hate light, so they'll block it.  That's why my Pogonomyrmex are doing, too.  I hate light too, so relatable.  Takes one to know one, I guess.

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline CrantockLad - Posted January 3 2022 - 10:40 AM

CrantockLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Great detective work!

I put the formicarium in the shade and the ants have quit doing this.

But now to the second part...

How to clean the glass without opening it up and triggering a mass jail-break!

Or is that just standard procedure--open it up, clean it out, and then coax the ants back in?

Many thanks for your suggestions,

Chris

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 3 2022 - 11:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could try putting the ants in the fridge for a while to slow them down. Be careful the temps don’t get too cold, though. Then quickly clean the glass. Best bet in my opinion would be to order a new glass from THA and swap it quickly.
Some of you kids on this forum need to grow up to invent some nanorobots for us to do crap like this.
  • gs5248, PaigeX and CrantockLad like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 3 2022 - 12:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Great detective work!

I put the formicarium in the shade and the ants have quit doing this.

But now to the second part...

How to clean the glass without opening it up and triggering a mass jail-break!

Or is that just standard procedure--open it up, clean it out, and then coax the ants back in?

Many thanks for your suggestions,

Chris

I noticed you said you moved them to the shade. I hope you mean shade from indoor lighting, because you definitely don't want to keep that thing in any direct sunlight.

• CrantockLad likes this

#8 Offline CrantockLad - Posted January 3 2022 - 1:40 PM

CrantockLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yes, shade from indoor lighting. No direct sunlight here! (Plus we're in Oregon, so no sunlight of any kind for 6 months :)

• PaigeX and ryanp347 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex occidentalis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users