• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reviews of Buckeye Myrmecology

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline madbiologist - Posted December 11 2021 - 11:27 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

A place to leave reviews of our products/colonies for those who have placed orders.

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 11 2021 - 2:36 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

6/5

When I bought my lasius americanus colony not even one worker arrived dead, the liquid feeders I bought worked great the nest I bought has yet to be used because the lasius queen has too big of a gaster to fit but next year I will move ants in. and excellent customer service

• madbiologist and azzaaazzzz00 like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline antgallery - Posted December 11 2021 - 11:53 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

My Lasius Colony is still doing great and I ordered them a couple months ago! 10/10!

• madbiologist likes this

#4 Offline OiledOlives - Posted April 26 2022 - 9:03 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I ordered a Rock Nest Small and a pack of liquid feeders several months back.

Nest review:
The nest is pretty but it can be confusing to assemble, similar to other acrylic nests. I kept a small colony of F. fusca-group in the nest (1 queen, 15 workers). Their brood was growing very quick until I overwatered the nest and, like other acrylic nests, water condensated in small drops on many parts of the nest and killed most of the brood. Instead of doubling in growth, their worker count fell down to two.

https://www.youtube....rts/5rJQV9-c32Y
The next colony I am keeping in the nest is a Monomorium cf. minimum colony. So far, they are doing good in the nest and there do not appear to be any obvious holes from which they can escape from. I am being careful to not overwater the nest now. 

Liquid feeder review:
These are very easy for larger ants to drink from. The base is brittle and started cracking after 2-3 months of use. One of the four is cracked and the other is cracking. (I used sugar water) He has told me that he has begun to use strong material for the bases, however. 

94618E64-CA24-471B-86F1-4609AE6A7634 (1).jpeg
Cracking buckeyemyrmecology liquid feeder in my chromaiodes outworld. It will probably break the next time I refill it.

Would recommend nests due to how pretty they are, but I would add a little bit of substrate in order to combat issues with water.

Edited by OiledOlives, April 26 2022 - 9:05 AM.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 26 2022 - 1:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Liquid feeder review:
These are very easy for larger ants to drink from. The base is brittle and started cracking after 2-3 months of use. One of the four is cracked and the other is cracking. (I used sugar water) He has told me that he has begun to use strong material for the bases, however. 
attachicon.gif94618E64-CA24-471B-86F1-4609AE6A7634 (1).jpeg
Cracking buckeyemyrmecology liquid feeder in my chromaiodes outworld. It will probably break the next time I refill it.

What is the base printed with? If it's doing that, it sounds like it might be PLA. PLA will literally start to crumble like a cookie when it gets old and is in contact with water.

• T.C. likes this

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted April 26 2022 - 1:51 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Liquid feeder review:
attachicon.gif94618E64-CA24-471B-86F1-4609AE6A7634 (1).jpeg

What is the base printed with. If it's doing that, it sounds like it might be PLA. PLA will literally start to crumble like a cookie when it gets old and is in contact with water.

Yeah I learnt this as well. Not to mention it's terrible for printing. All my printers drag the filament around and ruin whatever I'm printing half the time. I've tried making the bed more "sticky" and screwed with the settings such as the axis and speed as well as temperature. I hate it. What do you use for filament out of curiosity?

Edited by T.C., April 26 2022 - 11:21 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline madbiologist - Posted May 9 2022 - 3:17 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Liquid feeder review:

Would recommend nests due to how pretty they are, but I would add a little bit of substrate in order to combat issues with water.

Sorry for the late response, we have developed a stronger design for the feeder bases, and we will be switching to ABS filament as well. I believe the problem was simply wear and tear from screwing bottles in and out of the base, rather than water damage.

#8 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 9 2022 - 6:19 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

For 3 out of the 4 liquid feeders, I only took off the base 1-3 times.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#9 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted October 28 2023 - 9:59 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida
Ordered a tetramorium colony. One worker died in shipment but the colony is growing great.

Edited by asim, October 28 2023 - 10:00 AM.

• 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users