• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Exit Seminar for my Masters

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 29 2021 - 1:10 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I will be presenting my exit seminar for my Master's in Entomology this Thursday December 2nd at 10am eastern.  Here is the title and my abstract.

I will take ZEISS' advice and say:  If you want to attend send me a Private Message and I will share the link and  logon information.

If you attend have your microphone OFF and also your camera OFF.  You will have to grant permission when the request comes since it is going to be recorded and that is standard in Zoom in such situations that unless permission is granted you may not enter the Zoom presentation.  There will be an opportunity for questions at the end, if you want to ask a question please keep it within the context of the talk, thanks!

TITLE: A Phylogenetic Comparative Analysis of Tapinoma sessile (Say) in Eastern Tennessee with a Description of a New Species of Tapinoma

ABSTRACT:

The odorous house ant (Tapinoma sessile [Say], Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Dolichoderinae) is a commonly encountered nuisance pest ant in eastern Tennessee and much of the nation. Endemic to the U.S., northern Mexico, and southern Canada, this morphologically nondescript ant’s broad geographical distribution within many ecosystems raises questions about (1) its adaptive capacity to climate and elevation, and (2) whether possible cryptic species exist.  Adaptive convergence occurs when selection causes different populations to share phenotypic expressions. I employed a phylogenetic comparative method to examine adaptive convergence to extrinsic elevational and climatic traits and intrinsic morphological variation in eastern Tennessee populations of T. sessile. I generated an inferred phylogeny using a mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase gene COI, standard myrmecological morphological measurements, and three software programs, OUwie, SURFACE, and extendedSurface, to explore adaptive convergence in populations. Cytochrome oxidase I sequences from T.sessile reported from outside my collecting areas were obtained from GenBank to explore a larger continental inferred phylogeny and population relationships with elevation and climate. I determined that T.sessile has adaptive convergence to elevation and climate and that haplotypes in eastern Tennessee and North America are more varied than previously reported. My comparison of 14 worker, 22 male, and 22 female characters, revealed significant morphological variation within eastern Tennessee populations of T. sessile. In addition, a sympatric novel species of Tapinoma, superficially similar to T. sessile, was discovered. This new species, designated Tapinoma heleni sp. nov., has a significantly lower number of mandibular teeth and denticles and displays a distinctly different colony structure than T. sessile. This study suggests that Tapinoma sessile has the potential to be a significant temperate invasive due to its adaptive capacity to various elevational and climatic regimes and is most likely capable of adapting to predicted changes in climate. The discovery of the sympatric T. heleni sp. nov. suggests that Tapinoma described as T. sessile may be separate species warranting a more thorough review of curated specimens and greater attention to taxonomic assignment. Tapinoma heleni was only detected in natural areas; thus, its pest status is not known at this time.

Edited by PurdueEntomology, November 29 2021 - 2:34 PM.

• gcsnelling, Martialis, Enderz and 3 others like this

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 29 2021 - 1:14 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Will this be recorded? I want to know because I hope to watch it but will probably be in school by then. Good Luck!!!

Edited by Antkeeper01, November 29 2021 - 1:16 PM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 29 2021 - 1:18 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Will this be recorded? I want to know because I hope to watch it but will probably be in school by then. Good Luck!!!

Yes, I believe it will.  When I have the link to the presentation I will upload it here.  Thanks for the well wishing, it has been a while to get this all together!

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted November 29 2021 - 2:00 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

This is awesome, congratulations on making it this far in your studies!  

My only concern is that you put the information out to the public on the internet.  I hope you have some safeguards to prevent trolls from causing some problems.

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 29 2021 - 2:32 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

My only concern is that you put the information out to the public on the internet.  I hope you have some safeguards to prevent trolls from causing some problems.

Hmm

#6 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 29 2021 - 2:35 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Hmm

I edited the information, thanks for that!

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 30 2021 - 4:16 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Congratulations, I hope I can catch this.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 1 2021 - 6:51 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I'll unfortunately have to miss it as I'll be in school then. Do you know where the recording will be posted?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 2 2021 - 5:20 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I'll unfortunately have to miss it as I'll be in school then. Do you know where the recording will be posted?

When I learn that I will send you a message.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted December 2 2021 - 8:18 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Really enjoyed the presentation. Thank you again for letting us attend. Looking forward to learning more about T.heleni in the future and definitely going to collect more T.sessile near me come spring to look at.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 2 2021 - 8:37 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Really enjoyed the presentation. Thank you again for letting us attend. Looking forward to learning more about T.heleni in the future and definitely going to collect more T.sessile near me come spring to look at.

Thank you!! It was my pleasure.

#12 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 2 2021 - 7:08 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Well I passed my defense.  My committee is arranging for a more extensive nuclear DNA analysis of the new ant Tapinoma heleni sp. nov.  This is not for my thesis but to give greater strength for the new species assignment so that  any doubts about it and T. schreiberi are laid to rest. We got all necessary samples put together and now I am going to wait for the sequences to run a phylogeny.  Though no one is in doubt since if you watch the recording of my exit seminar I had overwhelming evidence reviewers for some journals want mitochondrial DNA supported with nuclear.  Though we had tried to use SNP (single nucleotide polymorphisms) our data was insufficient,  We will now use a Sanger sequencing technique for select nuclear DNA gene fragments which are easier to do and supported by other research.  The SNP data would have been strong for a population study otherwise.  Upshot, I am very pleased with todays outcome. 

• Zeiss, Martialis, Skwiggledork and 4 others like this

#13 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 2 2021 - 7:34 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Congratulations on passing your defense!  I wish I could have made it, but my sleep schedule is a bit on the not great side, haha.

• Skwiggledork and Antkeeper01 like this

#14 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted December 3 2021 - 12:20 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Congratulations on passing your defense!  I wish I could have made it, but my sleep schedule is a bit on the not great side, haha.

I feel you on the messed up sleep schedule. I think I got about four to five hours spread over three little chunks of time yesterday. Perks of working overnights. 

#15 Offline robbiesants - Posted December 3 2021 - 1:41 AM

robbiesants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Is there a link to watch it? I joined the forum too late :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users