• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

upsizing formicarium

formicarium upsizing tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntTitan - Posted November 22 2021 - 1:13 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

I have a couple smaller colonies of tetramorium immigrans, I caught the queens earlier this year, during this nuptial flight season. Now however, they have a lot more ants, I currently have them nested in AntsCanada ant portals with their founding testtube connected. They have more than 50 ants, but as tetramorium immigrans is a smaller species they still haven't filled up their testube. At what point should I move them into a actual formicarium. Should i move them now? should I move them once they get to a specific number of ants EX: 100? should I wait till they use up the majority of their space in their test tube. Below are pictures of my two colonies.

Attached Images

• IMG_10601.JPG
  • IMG_10611.JPG

Edited by AntTitan, November 22 2021 - 1:27 PM.

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted November 22 2021 - 1:28 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

You could move them now, but I would recommend waiting until you absolutely need to. You should always wait until the colony has at least 20 workers to move (at least for Tetramorium), but seeing you are past that stage and the colony is doing fine, there is no reason to move them unless the tube is moldy or the tube has no water. If you have a nest ready to house them however, it's up to you. The less often you move the ants, especially in the founding stages, the better.

Edited by UtahAnts, January 19 2022 - 5:05 PM.

• PaigeX likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, upsizing, tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users