• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Arthropod Antics Megathread

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 17 2021 - 11:23 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This is a reboot of this thread for the new Arthropod Antics subforum.

Here is a thread for discussing arthropodantics.com and its products. Feel free to leave any reviews, post photos of colonies in our nests, or anything of the like. I also plan to use this thread to announce any new upcoming products of major changes for the site.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Chickalo - Posted October 18 2021 - 11:20 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I don't have the picture right now, but for some reason you thought it was a good idea to place a large, flat stone in the corner of an outworld.  Not like it's the perfect place for Tetramorium to move into instead of the nest...

シグナチャーです。예.

#3 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 19 2021 - 8:38 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

A few major announcements!

Most importantly: The AA Holiday sale is coming soon! It's scheduled to start this Sunday (11/21). There is still a chance for delays, so just keep an eye out!

In addition, due to some feedback, I have changed the small outworld decor in a few ways:

IMG 20211119 211303574
IMG 20211119 211337901

Artificial sticks are now used instead of real sticks due to concerns of mold growth on genuine sticks.
Rocks are now much smaller, so as to encourage ants to not hide in the outworld.
There is now an option to get outworlds with no decor.

In addition, a new nest style is in the works, and is set to release alongside the holiday sale.

IMG 20211119 211127270
IMG 20211119 211135153

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#4 Offline antgallery - Posted November 19 2021 - 11:03 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Ooooh! I really like the new Outworlds!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#5 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 25 2021 - 1:12 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Arthropod Antics black friday sale, as well as the new formicaria, are now live! Save up to 20% on certain products!

https://www.arthropodantics.com/

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 27 2021 - 11:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Is there going to be a mini version of the Natural Formisquarium?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 27 2021 - 2:37 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Is there going to be a mini version of the Natural Formisquarium?

I am not planning on it. The mini nest is already so small that taking away space from it would make it almost useless, not to mention that the natural nests take quite a bit of extra effort to make, and the mini would need to be priced so low that it would be hard to justify the effort on my end. If there is enough demand I may reconsider, however I have already made a prototype and am not a huge fan of it for the reasons I just mentioned.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 13 2022 - 12:33 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

In case you missed it: AA has new outworlds!

https://www.arthropo...-large-outworld

This large outworld uses its long and skinny dimensions to give your ants plenty of foraging space without taking up too much desk space. The design features rounded corners, which will help the effectiveness of any ant-slip barriers. It also includes a ventilated lid for use without barriers. Customization options include the ability to order without decor, and to change the orientation of the entrance ports to better suit the formicaria you wish to use with it.

https://www.arthropo...xl-outworld-2-0

The new XL Outworld from Arthropod Antics is new and improved in just about every way! The new outworld comes in at roughly 1.5x the size of the previous design, and now features beveled edges akin to those in the Small Outworld for more effective barrier application. It, of course, comes standard with light decor and a ventilated lid. Customization options include the ability to order without decor, and to change the orientation of the entrance ports to better suit the formicaria you wish to use with it.

Edited by CheetoLord02, March 13 2022 - 12:33 PM.

• AnthonyP163, Chickalo, ANTS_KL and 1 other like this

#9 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 14 2022 - 6:45 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

April Updates for Arthropod Antics:

Further Product Testing:

With 
the Mini Formisquarium having recently sold out, the product will be temporarily discontinued while new designs are tested. Unfortunately the Mini Formisquarium was the one product that did not perform up to par with the rest of our lineup, and as such we have decided to perform some further design testing before restocking and re-releasing this product. Note that if you have purchased a Mini Formisquarium and have been unhappy with its performance that it has been an outlier among Arthropod Antics products, and any other formicaria in our product lineup will perform up to a much higher standard.

Thanks everyone for your understanding, and we hope you look forward to the eventual re-release of the new and improved Mini Formisquarium.

Acromyrmex verisicolor Food Mix:

A new variety of Acromyrmex versicolor food mix is coming soon: The Spring Mix will feature Palo Verde flowers - a staple of Acromyrmex versicolor and Atta mexicana's diet in the wild!

New Releases:

An all-in-one formicarium is now exiting the testing phase, and will be available for sale starting next week! 

Not ants, but...

Arthropod Antics is now selling other invertebrate pets! Currently available is a selection of 4 native Arizona centipedes, with a wider variety of invertebrate pets planned for the future. To celebrate this, we've got a code for you: Use code Pedes35 at checkout on arthropodantics.com for 35% off all centipedes!

• cocdeshijie, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 1 other like this

#10 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 19 2022 - 11:03 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
Arthropod Antics' first all-in-one Formicarium is now available!

Introducing the Ant Den - An all-in-one design using our bestselling Formisquarium nest seated inside a spacious outworld! Learn more on the product page here:

https://www.arthropo...one-formicarium
  • Manitobant and Somethinghmm like this

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted April 19 2022 - 2:57 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
What is your primary building material? Plaster?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#12 Online OiledOlives - Posted April 19 2022 - 3:14 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What is your primary building material? Plaster?

Ultracal 30

• T.C., CheetoLord02 and United-Ants like this

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted April 19 2022 - 4:41 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Ok, wow. I've used it. Not sure why these have such a plaster look to them. I was misjudging these thinking they would be overgrown with mold.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#14 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 3 2022 - 1:57 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update to the Acromyrmex versicolor food mix: The Spring Mix is now in stock! The Spring Mix swaps fall-blooming Red Peacock flowers for spring-blooming Palo Verde flowers, which are a staple of both Acromyrmex versciolor and Atta mexicana's diet in the wild. As always, every component has been extensively tested and proven to be an optimal source of food for fungus growing ants, specifically for Acromyrmex veriscolor. The sun-dried mix may also be accepted by Trachymyrmex and Atta species, however this is not guaranteed.

https://www.arthropo...icolor-food-mix

#15 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 10 2022 - 4:11 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
Reviews are here on arthropodantics.com!

If you'd like to leave feedback on any of the formicaria you've purchased and used, head to the bottom of any product page, and you'll see a button where you can leave a review!

Also, a small change for the Vertical Formisquarium:

This change was actually implemented a while ago, and have shipped out several formicaria with this change already, but note that the hydration chamber on the Vertical Formisquarium has been moved to the top of the nest, rather than being in the bottom; exactly how it is on the Vertical Formisquarium XL. This should make hydrating the nest more convenient, as you no longer need to turn it completely around to access hydration ports.

#16 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 13 2022 - 4:53 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

May is a special month for Arthropod Antics. On this day one year ago, May 13th, the very first Formisquariums were created, marking the beginning of Arthropod Antics as you know it today.

The very first Formisquarium:

IMG 20210513 194831423

After testing the design, I decided that I wanted to make these formicaria accessible to everyone, and committed to launching a store, home to high quality and affordable formicaria for antkeepers all across the country.

As the month went on, I designed a few more products: The Formisquarium XL, Small Outworld, and original Large Outworld. With these four products, I knew I had a lineup of nests that would be suitable for the vast majority of ants, and on May 31st, 2021, Arthropod Antics was officially launched.

In the year since the first Formisquarium was made, hundreds of ant colonies have been able to call an Arthropod Antics setup home, and many more products have been released to suit the needs of nearly any ant you can think of, from fungus growers to honeypots, or from Camponotus to Strumigenys.

To celebrate the anniversary of the Formisquarium, and Arthropod Antics as a whole, I have a few exciting announcements:

First of all, Red Sand is now available as a customization option! You now have the option to make your nests even fancier, with plaster dyed red, accompanied with a layer of ultra-fine red sand. This option is also available for the Vertical and Natural Formisquarium lineups!

Secondly, you may now customize outworlds with both white and red sand in the customization menu!

And lastly, to show my appreciation to all of you for a year of continued support, Coupon Code "Anniversary25" is active from now until May 31st, for 25% off all orders over $30 (subtotal).

Thank you once again to everyone for supporting Arthropod Antics, whether you've been here since the start or have just found us recently, we thank you and hope you continue to use and enjoy our formicaria for years to come.

• Somethinghmm, NicholasP and FloridaAnts like this

#17 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 17 2022 - 10:53 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
Introducing the Arthropod Antics Custom Formicaria page!

This page, linked below, will contain formicaria that are one-of-a-kind: Each listing features a unique, premade formicarium, so that you can see exactly what the nest looks like before purchasing; no surprises here! Each formicarium is unique, so if you see something you like, act quick before it gets snatched up!

This page will also feature formicaria with unique designs and aesthetics that would not typically be available via the customization options on a normal Arthropod Antics formicarium. These custom formicarium designs will only be featured periodically on this page and cannot be purchased anywhere else.

Note: Orders containing ONLY Custom Formicaria and/or supplies WILL be shipped out during the Arthropod Antics summer hiatus (June 18-July 7). Expect these orders to be fulfilled on Saturdays.

• OiledOlives likes this

#18 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 4 2022 - 9:26 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
The Mini Formisquarium is back, and it's better and mini-er than ever! Now in a new form, the Mini Natural Formisquarium brings back the tiny Arthropod Antics nest that's been missing for months. 

The Mini Natural Formisquarium takes the previous Mini Formisquarium's size and shape and improves on it in a few key ways:

Smaller! Now that the nest has walls, it is far more suitable for smaller colonies and founding queens than the previous Mini Formisquarium, which was often too small for small-medium sized colonies, but too large for founding queens/colonies.

Better hydration! With the nest having more material overall, it now holds moisture substantially better than the previous Mini Formisquarium. It will still dry out quicker than the rest of the Arthropod Antics lineup due to its smaller size, however now you won't have to worry about hydrating it every day, rather now every 3-5 days will be more than enough.

Better Looks! Of course, now the additional benefit of the nests looking great will help showcase your colonies in a much nicer way, if the barebones looks of the regular Formisquarium series doesn't fit your fancy.

So go ahead and pick one up now, before they sell out!

Also: Labor Day Sale!! Now get rock-bottom deals on your favorite formicaria from now until midnight PST, 9/5/22

Edited by CheetoLord02, September 5 2022 - 9:40 AM.

• Somethinghmm and ColdBloodedCritters like this

#19 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 8 2022 - 1:51 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
Acromyrmex versicolor food - Fall Mix back in stock!

#20 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 24 2022 - 10:13 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale is live now! Save up to 30% on select products!

https://www.arthropodantics.com/

Also, the Formisquarium Series Collection bundle is now back FOREVER!

https://www.arthropo...ries-collection

Gift cards are also now available, find them on the supplies page!

Edited by CheetoLord02, November 24 2022 - 10:15 PM.

• NicholasP and United-Ants like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users