• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The comeback of the Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Journal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 9 2021 - 2:06 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Some of you may know or have read my last journal: The Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Journal (starting as a new Queen). Well that queen is still alive and well (I just forgot about that old journal, that's why it mysteriously ended). Anyways, this is a journal for the same exact queen, she is now at about 30-35 workers now (and of course a pile of brood). They've been living of of mostly superwoms (besides an occasional tiny spider that they don't even really eat). I'm currently preparing them for their 2 and a half month hibernation (anybody know what temperature is best? I live in NJ by the way). The Pictures will be coming out at some point tonight.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2021 - 3:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
45-50 degrees will do it. They can go lower if you reduce it gradually.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 9 2021 - 4:07 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Thanks for the reply ANTdrew! I was also wondering how I could get them to that temperature (without a mini fridge because I don't have one).

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2021 - 5:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A fridge, unheated basement, or a garage are pretty much your only options.
  • Chickalo and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 11 2021 - 7:22 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

The pictures didn't come out yet because of my internet issues the last two days, they will probably be out today (I got someone to come and help me).

#6 Offline antscientist - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:53 AM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Unlike other ants, camponotus ants are wood-nesting ants so, whenever winter comes, they produce a special chemical in their bodies to stop their blood from freezing. So, if you did catch this colony near where you live, you can just put them outside for hibernation.

#7 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 11 2021 - 12:20 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I’ve seen folks post about putting their colonies outside or in an unheated garage in one of those $5 styrofoam coolers. Not enough insulated to keep them warm but just enough protection from unwanted varmints.  

#8 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 11 2021 - 4:41 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I have the pictures now! Don't ask me why the test tube looks blue...

IMG20211010214513
IMG20211010214520
IMG20211010214913

• ConcordAntman, Chickalo, futurebird and 3 others like this

#9 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 12 2021 - 12:55 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Not really an update, but also technically an update...anyways the queen seemed to have stopped or slowed her production of eggs. It's probably because it's nearing winter here and she just taking it easy before she goes into hibernation. I also forgot to post the count of the brood and workers, I will do that once I get home.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, October 12 2021 - 12:55 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#10 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 12 2021 - 5:01 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

So, brood and worker count: 7 cocoons, 1 large larvae, 2 small larvae, 3 eggs, about 35 regular workers, 2 majors.

IMG20211012200122
IMG20211012200131
I will be either buying an AC campontus formicarium or making my own formicarium for them to move into after hibernation.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, October 12 2021 - 5:03 PM.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo, futurebird and 2 others like this

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 13 2021 - 2:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do not buy an AC formicarium for them. Make your own or buy THA.
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#12 Offline Chickalo - Posted October 13 2021 - 6:32 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

AC nests tend to be overpriced for their quality.  Other options are, like, TarHeel Ants, Arthropod Antics, Buckeye Myrmecology, or even make your own (there are definitely other stores).

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#13 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 13 2021 - 6:48 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Alright I'll buy a formicarium from one of your suggested companies than. Thanks for the info! If I do make my own formicarium it'll probably be made of plaster and glass.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, October 13 2021 - 6:58 AM.

• Chickalo and ColAnt735 like this

#14 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 19 2021 - 10:12 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

So nothing really major happened with the colony besides a new major eclosing, so now we were up to 3 majors. I have put them into hibernation in the garage. Also before I did that, they decided to drag a superworm kill into the test tube. No idea how I'm going to get that out. No pics yet...cause I'm not going into the garage 2 in the morning, my neighbors are going to burn down my garage if I do that (my garage door sounds like a wailing elephant with a sore throat).

#15 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 26 2021 - 2:51 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

So today I decided to move the colony in to a new test tube because the superworm carcass that they had previosly draged in to their old test tube had started to mold. I just put them back in the garage so they could hibernate in peace. I probably won't be updating until I take them out of hibernation or until something major happens (like if they die, but lets hope for the best...).

#16 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted November 16 2021 - 12:30 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Update, so I hadn't really checked on them scince I had last posted, I decided I would do that today...and found the entire colony drowned :(. They had chewed through the cotton blocking the water, I noticed this before but didn't think much of it as many of my other colonies did the same but eventually stopped. It's possible that they've already dug really deep into the cotton before and I just didn't notice (the leak was near the bottom of the test tube). So I hope I have better luck with my next colony of these ants, they are very common here so I dout ill come back empty handed.

#17 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 16 2021 - 1:21 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

noooooooooooooooooooo RIP

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users