• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DarkCerebral - Pheidole Bicarinata.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 24 2021 - 9:50 AM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

First workers have arrived! This is my first successful queen to worker. Now begins the wonderful journey of raising a fresh colony. I have striped an extremely small amount of honey onto parchment paper and inserted into tube. I will collect some images later tonight. These nanitics are smaller than I even imaged.

Edited by DarkCerebral, September 24 2021 - 10:48 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 24 2021 - 12:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Congrats! Keep them very warm, and feed lots and lots of protein. They also appreciate plenty of moisture. You can check out my journal for guidance.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 26 2021 - 2:25 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I now have 3-4 workers and gave them their first meal today. I have attached some pictures of the new nanitic playing peakaboo and queen. Also I was able to capture pictures of first food contact. They have been back and forth to eat and feed the queen.

Attached Images

• nanitic.pekaboo.jpeg
  • nanitic.firstfood.0.jpeg
  • nanitic.Toothpick.Scale.jpeg

• ANTdrew and AntBoi3030 like this

#4 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 28 2021 - 2:17 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Congrats! Keep them very warm, and feed lots and lots of protein. They also appreciate plenty of moisture. You can check out my journal for guidance.

After reading through your journal I noticed they really liked Fruit Flies. I have searched through the forum and have not found any information regarding acquiring the flies or farming them? Also, I have a new bifurcated mini hearth and was not sure how long before sending them in there from the test tube. I would like to not maintain in the test tube if possible.

Also, appear to love apple. We are up to 6 workers now. Much excite!

Attached Images

• naniticsw.Apple.0.jpeg

Edited by DarkCerebral, September 28 2021 - 3:14 PM.

• m99 likes this

#5 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted October 1 2021 - 10:10 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

This colony is now almost to double digit workers. I am looking to move them into the bifurcated mini hearth. My second Pheidole queen now has 2-3 workers and a lot more on the way. I also have 2 others that are semi promising and 2 recently collected. I am unsure if I am going to just keep this first colony and sell the others are raise 2 colonies. Anything over 2 though will have to go once they are established. I want to diversify my inventory, so we shall see how these other 4 upcoming queens do.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 2 2021 - 2:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’d only keep one of the best colonies and sell the others. This species can fetch a handsome price. A standard mini-hearth would be just fine, and it would last longer, spacewise.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 2 2021 - 2:14 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users