• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which species would you willing to get stung by to keep? (provided it was legal in your area)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Which species are you willing to get stung by to obtain a queen of the species? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which species are you willing to get stung by to obtain a queen of the species? (multiple choice)

1. Harpegnathos (15 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

2. Myrmecia (14 votes [11.20%])

Percentage of vote: 11.20%

3. Amblyopone/Stigmatomma (14 votes [11.20%])

Percentage of vote: 11.20%

4. Odontomachus/Anochetus (16 votes [12.80%])

Percentage of vote: 12.80%

5. Eciton (wait... what?) (8 votes [6.40%])

Percentage of vote: 6.40%

6. Paraponera clavata (9 votes [7.20%])

Percentage of vote: 7.20%

7. Diacamma (10 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

8. Solenopsis (fire ants, not small native Australian ones) (12 votes [9.60%])

Percentage of vote: 9.60%

9. Pseudomyrmex (12 votes [9.60%])

Percentage of vote: 9.60%

10. Rhytidoponera (15 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 20 2021 - 3:37 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Well, I thought of this yesterday, so it's time to do a poll on it.

Time to get a one star thread rating!

Edited by Leptomyrmx, September 20 2021 - 3:39 PM.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted September 20 2021 - 3:48 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I voted all of them

• Manitobant likes this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 20 2021 - 4:21 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Harpegnathos is basically my favorite genera. They look so alien!

#4 Offline futurebird - Posted September 20 2021 - 6:21 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I know it's crazy but I'm willing to be stung by the vicious Cephalotes... crazy, I know. 

But I'm a tough girl who has been bitten by lasius ants and not even made a sound.  

• Kaelwizard, Chickalo and antgallery like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#5 Offline Moonant01 - Posted September 20 2021 - 6:54 PM

Moonant01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Can  you add Manica I love them and I've tested their sting before and it hurt.

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 21 2021 - 4:18 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Imagine one of us chose all of them but has an allergy to Hymenoptera stings  :o

Anyway, I add Eciton assuming I'd be able to keep them successfully in captivity, I'd be more than happy to set up an ant escape-proof hallway vivarium style lol

• Moonant01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#7 Offline JCRHJM - Posted September 21 2021 - 5:58 AM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

all of them except for paraponera clavata 

#8 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted September 21 2021 - 10:17 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I would be willing for all. Pain is temporary. Only voted for Paraponera and Myrmecia though, since I really want them.

• NancyZamora4991 likes this

#9 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 21 2021 - 11:52 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I know it's crazy but I'm willing to be stung by the vicious Cephalotes... crazy, I know. 

But I'm a tough girl who has been bitten by lasius ants and not even made a sound.  

Cephalotes do not have a sting. Myrmicinae in the tribe Attini have a vestigial stinger that does not function. I believe most of their stingers are internal, with rigid exoskeleton covering it so it cannot even exit the body to deliver a venom.

Also, I think the only ones on here would be Eciton and Rhytidoponera. I'm not much a fan of the big, solitary hunter type ants. Even Rhytidoponera is a stretch for what I'd consider "fun" to keep. Even with Eciton being basically impossible to keep I'd rather be given a colony of one of them than anything else on this list, except maybe Myrmecia for the sole purpose of selling them.

Edited by CheetoLord02, September 21 2021 - 11:54 AM.

• eea likes this

#10 Offline UrbanOrganisms - Posted September 21 2021 - 2:31 PM

UrbanOrganisms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Pretty sure this was a joke lol

Cephalotes do not have a sting. Myrmicinae in the tribe Attini have a vestigial stinger that does not function. I believe most of their stingers are internal, with rigid exoskeleton covering it so it cannot even exit the body to deliver a venom.

Also, I think the only ones on here would be Eciton and Rhytidoponera. I'm not much a fan of the big, solitary hunter type ants. Even Rhytidoponera is a stretch for what I'd consider "fun" to keep. Even with Eciton being basically impossible to keep I'd rather be given a colony of one of them than anything else on this list, except maybe Myrmecia for the sole purpose of selling them.

• Moonant01 and futurebird like this

#11 Offline futurebird - Posted September 21 2021 - 8:12 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

LOL. I'm scared enough of my Pogonomyrmex. I don't want any more excitement TBH. 

Hence the "I'm so brave I let my lasius neoniger ants bite me all they want"

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#12 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 22 2021 - 8:28 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

I know this is random but speaking of getting bitten by common ants I used to get bitten by Iridomyrmex bickinelli for fun  :)

I may as well add that it's interesting to see so many people wanting Rhytidoponera when they're the second most common species in my area and I have about six queens... 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

#13 Offline SYUTEO - Posted September 22 2021 - 10:34 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I got stung by Diacamma last week and the swelling took three days to go away. Anyway, I still wanted a colony of them.

Edit: I got stung by Diacamma, AGAIN like a month or two ago and the swelling is still there.

Edited by SYUTEO, November 22 2021 - 2:11 AM.

• TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#14 Offline KinmanRed777 - Posted November 9 2021 - 12:08 AM

KinmanRed777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationClovis, California

3 Colonies i would 100% get stung or bitten by to keep them is Paraponera clavata, Eciton hamatum and Pseudomyrmex Apachi... its gonna hurt like hell but damn i want them.

• Chickalo likes this

#15 Offline Bugging3out - Posted November 21 2021 - 12:45 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

i would get stung by.............

SOLENOPSIS

people: Are you crazy?

me: no its just there sting don't hurt at all. (lie)

people: :wtf:

• PaigeX likes this

peace!  :afro:

#16 Offline Idontexist - Posted November 22 2021 - 12:42 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Tytanonirma

#17 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 22 2021 - 9:57 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Tytanonirma

don't exist anymore

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#18 Offline PaigeX - Posted November 22 2021 - 10:18 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I've been stung by Rhytidoponera so many times already... what's once more?

Also they are one of the ants that made me hate ants for many years because when I moved from NSW to QLD I sat down on grass in School for remembrance day and there happen to be a huge nest of them there. I got stung and bitten all up my leg. I was paranoid for many years after that about big black ants. I was told they were called Green ants (Their nickname) but they always looked black to me. Only until a month ago have I had a closer look at them in the sun and seen they shiny really nice green. xD

There are colonies of them around here everywhere. Its like they had a boom in population as soon as I started to keep ants and started to see ants in a new light. I'm still not going near them tho hahaha

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#19 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted November 22 2021 - 10:31 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Also they are one of the ants that made me hate ants for many years because when I moved from NSW to QLD I sat down on grass in School for remembrance day and there happen to be a huge nest of them there. I got stung and bitten all up my leg. I was paranoid for many years after that about big black ants. I was told they were called Green ants (Their nickname) but they always looked black to me. Only until a month ago have I had a closer look at them in the sun and seen they shiny really nice green. xD

There are colonies of them around here everywhere. Its like they had a boom in population as soon as I started to keep ants and started to see ants in a new light. I'm still not going near them tho hahaha

Wait I wrote out a whole reply thinking you were talking about green tree ants/weaver ants/Oecophylla-

I only realised that you meant Rhytidoponera when you said they were in the ground oof

I am yet to be stung by Rhytidoponera but I'm sure it will happen soon, having a few queens.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

My Ants:

#20 Offline PaigeX - Posted November 22 2021 - 10:38 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Wait I wrote out a whole reply thinking you were talking about green tree ants/weaver ants/Oecophylla-

I only realised that you meant Rhytidoponera when you said they were in the ground oof

I am yet to be stung by Rhytidoponera but I'm sure it will happen soon, having a few queens.

Yea their nickname here in the South East Qld is green ants. Unlike the top end of Qld where green ants are the weaver ants xD

Can be confusing. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users