• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How often should I feed honey and food to my small colonies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Formiga - Posted September 15 2021 - 10:07 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

How often should I feed honey to my small colonies?

I do it 2 or 3 times a week.

And regarding food? I feed my Formica fusca small fruit flies, one almost everyday.

I've stopped feeding them normal flies because they leave it accumulating mold inside the formicarium and blocking passage ways.

I'm still trying to reach an equilibrium. On one side I would prefer them not to accumulate moldy left overs inside the formicarium, but on the other hand I want them to have all the food they need in order to breed and grow as much as possible before hibernation.

What's your recommendations regarding food and honey guys? Thanks!

Edit: By the way, when should be the best time to remove dead flies from the outworld after not being picked up or not totally devoured? After a couple of days?

And a drop of honey (not mixed with water), will it go bad (after how many days?) or can I just leave it?

Edited by Formiga, September 16 2021 - 1:03 AM.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 16 2021 - 5:37 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I usually feed my colonies once a week, although more is better if you want them to grow faster.

#3 Offline Formiga - Posted September 16 2021 - 7:17 AM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Well, overprotective worried daddy syndrome here... :rolleyes:

One colony is still very small, under a dozen ants, and the other one even smaller, with the 1st nanitics having emerged a week ago. Autumn is just around the corner and in a couple of months or so hibernation time will come. I'd just like to increase their chances of survival...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users