• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First Successful Multispecies Honeypot Colony

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UrbanOrganisms - Posted September 5 2021 - 9:13 AM

UrbanOrganisms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I thought I'd make my first post a good one, so what better way to do this than with a multispecies honeypot ant colony? As the title suggests, I believe I am the first person to successfully found a multispecies honeypot ant colony in the world, and possibly the first successful multispecies colony in North America. A Myrmecocystus mexicanus and mimicus queen were placed together within a couple days of being caught from their nuptial flight roughly a month and a half ago and have founded together with the first mimicus worker hatching on September 4th, and the first mexicanus worker hatching today on September 5th, making it a true multispecies colony at this point. As you can see both the queens and workers are healthy with no signs of hostility to each other so far. Hopefully more workers continue hatching in the days to come. Whether or not this will work long term only time will tell, but regardless, I would say the fact that this worked is an amazing discovery in it of itself.

https://imgur.com/ULwxTjK

e46prtE.jpg

Edited by UrbanOrganisms, September 5 2021 - 9:26 AM.

• SoySauce, CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01 and 6 others like this

#2 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted September 5 2021 - 10:29 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I thought I'd make my first post a good one, so what better way to do this than with a multispecies honeypot ant colony? As the title suggests, I believe I am the first person to successfully found a multispecies honeypot ant colony in the world, and possibly the first successful multispecies colony in North America. A Myrmecocystus mexicanus and mimicus queen were placed together within a couple days of being caught from their nuptial flight roughly a month and a half ago and have founded together with the first mimicus worker hatching on September 4th, and the first mexicanus worker hatching today on September 5th, making it a true multispecies colony at this point. As you can see both the queens and workers are healthy with no signs of hostility to each other so far. Hopefully more workers continue hatching in the days to come. Whether or not this will work long term only time will tell, but regardless, I would say the fact that this worked is an amazing discovery in it of itself.

https://imgur.com/ULwxTjK

e46prtE.jpg
http://

That’s insane, did you dunk them in vinegar? It would be so cool if they stayed like this long term.
  • Antkeeper01, KadinB, Chickalo and 1 other like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted September 5 2021 - 11:04 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

It looks like their brood piles are separated, so it's probably only a matter of time until one of the colonies die (probably the mimicus). It would be awesome if this worked out, but it's one thing to have 2 founded colonies in the same container, and something completely different if you can get the workers to actually groom and feed each other, as well as take care of both species's larvae. Who knows though, perhaps this really will be a successful long term colony.

• mmcguffi, SoySauce, Canadant and 6 others like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline SoySauce - Posted September 5 2021 - 12:14 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
I wonder what would happen if you mix up the two broods and make just a single brood pile???
  • KadinB likes this

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 5 2021 - 12:58 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

It looks like their brood piles are separated, so it's probably only a matter of time until one of the colonies die (probably the mimicus). It would be awesome if this worked out, but it's one thing to have 2 founded colonies in the same container, and something completely different if you can get the workers to actually groom and feed each other, as well as take care of both species's larvae. Who knows though, perhaps this really will be a successful long term colony.

2 queens in this close of a proximity could not have founded without coming in contact, which means these queens must be of the same colony gestalt. Workers eclosed into this colony will simply develop the same scent as their mothers, so this very well could work. However, it's notable that closely related species (species in the same genus like in this case) can often recognize other queens as rivals, if naturally, they are not polygynous. This means the queens could fight, or that the workers may pick one queen to kill later on. If this does not occur, though, the colony is basically set. I've had species from different subfamilies care for eachother's brood, and cooperate with queens and workers of both species. Two species in the same genus is barely any difference in behaviors and brood care. This is not at all impossible, and it's something we've been researching a long time.

That being said, this is not the first multispecies colony in North America. There's been some colonies that have lasted for weeks together and then had issues, and then there's some which I know of still going strong today. If these species cooperate and last for a long time, they could be the first long term successful multispecies colony. That determining moment is yet to come, though.

• smares, CheetoLord02, TestSubjectOne and 4 others like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline KadinB - Posted September 5 2021 - 1:52 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Damn congrats. I saw the post on your Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 5 2021 - 2:00 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

It’s just awesome to see. Thought it couldn’t be done but urban amazes yet again.

• KadinB likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#8 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted September 26 2021 - 7:35 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

update?

• Antkeeper01, KadinB, Moonant01 and 1 other like this

#9 Offline cap_backfire - Posted September 30 2021 - 11:47 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN
Curious how this is going! Any chance of an update???
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline DaAnt - Posted September 30 2021 - 6:00 PM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Update?

#11 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 30 2021 - 6:45 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

This is not going to last long term in such close proximity for those of you wanting an update.

• KadinB likes this

#12 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted October 11 2021 - 12:07 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
WOW, I've seen your yt vids and they are amazing!! Very impressive btw👌👌👌
  • Leptomyrmx likes this

#13 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 11 2021 - 3:25 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Definitely not going to be a long term success.

#14 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted October 11 2021 - 5:54 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California
Considering the lack of an update despite them being recently on (as in yesterday) I’d consider the worst.

#15 Offline United-Ants - Posted August 28 2022 - 10:57 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Update?

#16 Offline Serafine - Posted August 29 2022 - 1:06 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I wonder what would happen if you mix up the two broods and make just a single brood pile???

There's a good chance they'll eat each other. Apparently ant larvae are part of the colony's defenses against parasites.

Edited by Serafine, August 29 2022 - 1:07 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#17 Offline nurbs - Posted August 29 2022 - 2:06 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I've done this before, multiple times, just out of my own sick curiosity. It's an interesting experiment, but their CHC profiles (cuticular hydrocarbons, their "pheromones") are quite different between species. The analysis we've done in our lab on multiple colonies has shown CHCs are mostly hereditary with diet modulating the profile.

They'll rip each other apart within 6 months, with both queens missing appendages. The workers will also start feeding their queen the non native brood, so the brood will begin to diminish we well. The reason they are so chill with each other is most pots within the first few months are actually very "nice" to each other. It's not like this with other genus, like Camponotus. Not sure why this is the case but this is what I've observed doing this over ten years. This is also one of the reasons you can combine pot colonies if a queen has died in the early stages. Once the colony gets gets going, however, usually around the 6 month park, the shat hits the fan.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#18 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 29 2022 - 8:18 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I have a feeling of hope for these queens. I know this is not really the same thing but Camponotus pennsylvanicus have NEVER been recorded to be polygynous in any parts of the U.S. to my knowledge, yet I have a two-queen colony that's doing great. I have a feeling that anything can be possible at this point. If I can make a polygynous pennsylvanicus on accident, then what's not to say a multispecies of Myrmecocystus can't happen.

#19 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 29 2022 - 9:08 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationCalif.

On November 28th 2021 he mentioned that the colony died in a Discord server.

Edited by ReignofRage, August 29 2022 - 9:08 PM.

#20 Offline Serafine - Posted August 30 2022 - 4:48 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I have a feeling of hope for these queens. I know this is not really the same thing but Camponotus pennsylvanicus have NEVER been recorded to be polygynous in any parts of the U.S. to my knowledge, yet I have a two-queen colony that's doing great. I have a feeling that anything can be possible at this point. If I can make a polygynous pennsylvanicus on accident, then what's not to say a multispecies of Myrmecocystus can't happen.

Many large-colony Camponotus and Messor species appear to have a natural tendency towards oligogyny (usually they adopt queens - often their own - in outskirt satellite nests), so with those it at least seems kinda plausible to have a multiqueen colony.

Edited by Serafine, August 30 2022 - 4:48 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users