• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

looking for Formica pallidefulva

illinois buying

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 7 2021 - 8:04 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

hey all, I am looking for a local seller in or around the Joliet area who has Formica pallidefulva workers. I'm looking for maybe 50 of them all from the same colony. I need them for my 2 Polyergus sp queens. any help would be greatly appreciated as I seem to not be able to find any colonies near me.

Attached Images

• 20210804_160127.jpg

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Formica pallidefulva have quite cryptic nesting habits, which makes things difficult. They don’t build large mounds like fusca group formica. However, if you have lots of formica subsericea or any other fusca group formica in your area, there is a chance that this is a rufescens-breviceps group polyergus species, which target fusca group species and not pallidefulva group species. P. breviceps has lots of records near your area, which makes this more likely.
  • TennesseeAnts and olookitsme like this

#3 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:16 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

walk of shame and rejection i feel like the guy who just tried to bribe the president and he said no

Edited by zA-Z0-9, August 7 2021 - 10:10 PM.

• olookitsme likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#4 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:17 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

:D  emberrased face 

Edited by zA-Z0-9, August 7 2021 - 10:08 PM.

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

youre in luck dude i can totally help you i van sell you some but we would have to discuss it here mayberryisaiah223@gmail.com

you’re not in illinois, and even if you aren’t doing it on here you shouldn’t be setting up illegal trades, especially outside DMs.

#6 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:45 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Formica pallidefulva have quite cryptic nesting habits, which makes things difficult. They don’t build large mounds like fusca group formica. However, if you have lots of formica subsericea or any other fusca group formica in your area, there is a chance that this is a rufescens-breviceps group polyergus species, which target fusca group species and not pallidefulva group species. P. breviceps has lots of records near your area, which makes this more likely.

here are the other pictures i took of her. unfortunately all pics come from my phone and my shaky hands, so quality will always be a little questionable. you got me nervous now, i'm a first year ant keeper and the discord i'm in says this can be a difficult species to keep. i don't want to be offering my 2 queens the wrong workers. i actually considered letting one of them go and follow it around and see where she will take me.

Attached Images

• 20210804_160033.jpg
  • 20210804_155956.jpg
  • 20210804_155927.jpg

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:47 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

here are the other pictures i took of her. unfortunately all pics come from my phone and my shaky hands, so quality will always be a little questionable. you got me nervous now, i'm a first year ant keeper and the discord i'm in says this can be a difficult species to keep. i don't want to be offering my 2 queens the wrong workers. i actually considered letting one of them go and follow it around and see where she will take me.
here is a solution: offer one queen formica subsericea workers and the other formica pallidefulva workers. That way, at least one queen has the right host species. Also, i would use callow workers, as they quickly bond with the queen and will feed her.

#8 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:49 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

youre in luck dude i can totally help you i van sell you some but we would have to discuss it here mayberryisaiah223@gmail.com

you’re not in illinois, and even if you aren’t doing it on here you shouldn’t be setting up illegal trades, especially outside DMs.

i spoke to this person before through dm here about some Camponotus penns queens. their prices are pretty high, like $60 per queen unless you buy a certain amount to get a discounted price.

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#9 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:52 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

here is a solution: offer one queen formica subsericea workers and the other formica pallidefulva workers. That way, at least one queen has the right host species. Also, i would use callow workers, as they quickly bond with the queen and will feed her.

worker size about the same between the two species? and to find those callow workers, should i expect to do some digging to get to them?

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#10 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 7 2021 - 10:11 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

i spoke to this person before through dm here about some Camponotus penns queens. their prices are pretty high, like $60 per queen unless you buy a certain amount to get a discounted price.

who?

• olookitsme likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 8 2021 - 6:58 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

worker size about the same between the two species? and to find those callow workers, should i expect to do some digging to get to them?
i think pallidefulva is smaller, and you don’t need to do much digging for callows, just take a few scoops of a mound with a small shovel.

#12 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 8 2021 - 9:29 AM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

who?

that is my mistake. at about the same time  you liked a bunch of my posts, i was talking to someone about how i want to buy some camponotus penns. I got the names mixed up and i'm sorry for that.

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#13 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 8 2021 - 10:08 AM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

who?

that is my mistake. at about the same time  you liked a bunch of my posts, i was talking to someone about how i want to buy some camponotus penns. I got the names mixed up and i'm sorry for that.

its cool

• olookitsme likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: illinois, buying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users