• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How often should I refresh the food in an enclosure?

food feeding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline drawpositive - Posted August 5 2021 - 7:44 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

I have several founding colonies --3 in small formicariums and 3 still in test tubes. (For reference, the enclosures are kept with a temperature range of mid 70's to mid 80's) I've been feeding them each a bit of honey/honey water and a piece of boiled insect every week.  They ants always have access to fresh water.

After about 2 days, the honey water dries  up and the insect piece looks dry.  

Should I be concerned that their food becomes dry?  Or not, since they have access to water?  Are ants interested in dry sugar/dry meat?  I ask because I could imagine that the dry meat may be difficult for them to chew or cut.

Should I be giving them a refresh on their food more often?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 5 2021 - 7:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Most ants will not eat anything that is dry. You may want to renew their food more often. A little protein every other day or so and constant access to sugars in a liquid feeder would be the best, in my experience.
  • TestSubjectOne, drawpositive and zA-Z0-9 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, feeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users