• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How bad are grain mites?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 1 2021 - 7:19 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how bad grain mites actually are? I noticed a lot on my fruit fly culture that just started breeding(It's the one from my journal, just a bit ago I put fruit flies from my old culture into it but that's not important), and it would be a pain to have to throw away. It's not as if any of my ants eat grains anyway.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#2 Offline Queen - Posted August 1 2021 - 8:48 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Define "bad".

Will they hurt your ants? No

Will they eat your ants trash? Yes

I personally find them annoying as they reproduce rather quickly and can get out of hand (not to mention they get outside of the nest and can infest other things in your home as well). So to me they are bad. I do whatever it takes to get rid of them.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 2 2021 - 2:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think they’re terrible, personally. You could still use the fruit flies, though, if you freeze and flash boil them before feeding.
  • ConcordAntman, DDD101DDD and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 2 2021 - 4:40 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

One of the main problems with grain mites (when there are too many) in fruit fly cultures is that they outcompete the fruit fly larvae. 

• DDD101DDD likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 2 2021 - 9:20 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Alright, I guess I'll need to get rid of my fruit flies, thanks for the help guys.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#6 Offline GreekAnts - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:05 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Alright, I guess I'll need to get rid of my fruit flies, thanks for the help guys.

I would try to take some clean ones and start a new colony, if you put them in vinegar somehow, can it kill the mites? sorry if my question is stupid.

#7 Offline ExponentMars - Posted August 4 2021 - 3:03 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I had grain mites for a while - as far as I know they don't hurt the ants, they are just very annoying and make the glass look dirty. 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#8 Offline ExponentMars - Posted August 4 2021 - 3:04 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I think they’re terrible, personally. You could still use the fruit flies, though, if you freeze and flash boil them before feeding.

ohhhh so THAT'S where all those mites came from! well to say the least I ain't ever feeding my ants fruit flies again lol  :rolleyes:

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2021 - 3:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, that’s why I stopped feeding fruit flies.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline smares - Posted August 4 2021 - 6:11 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Personally I found that they have a big effect on founding queens. I am pretty sure they eat the eggs of the queen and they eat the sugar water and dead bugs I offer also. They reproduce fast and even when I try to clean them out by transferring to a new test tube they soon cover everything again, including the queen! I got some mites on amazing that eat them! I can't remember what they were called but I can look if you want. I haven't seen a mite since then!

#11 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 4 2021 - 7:50 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Search the forum threads for predatory mites and you might find more information. It seems to me though, if you’re getting predatory mites to eat the grain mites you didn’t want your colony to have in the first place that you just might have too many mites :facepalm: It might be simpler to avoid introducing mites into your colony’s ecosystem. Try storing your feeder insects frozen and flash boil (a 5-7 second dip in boiling hot water) them just prior to feeding. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users