• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best means to capture wild queens.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SheldonLee5 - Posted June 26 2015 - 6:15 AM

SheldonLee5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

What is the best method to safely, and securely capture a wild queen ant from the ground? What do you guys use?

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 26 2015 - 6:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

A container.

• dermy and ohhhhh like this

#3 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 26 2015 - 7:35 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
I use a medium acrylic box lid. It works pretty well. I can usually get the queen to walk into it by placing one edge into the dirt ahead of her.

Some people pick them up with their hands and I've been wondering about queens that bite and sting.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 26 2015 - 7:51 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I don't think queens can sting, as I believe it is an adaptation of the ovaries, but I might be wrong...

#5 Offline Herdo - Posted June 26 2015 - 8:18 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

I caught one queen yesterday with some featherweight forceps.  I was afraid of crushing her still so I just let her climb onto the tip and then I sort of tapped her into the test tube.  I saw a video where someone was using these things:

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00

It looked a whole lot easier.  He just puts it over the queen and they run up the side.  He then flips it over and snaps the cap on.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/XccAZls7Hns?t=3m43s

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted June 26 2015 - 8:45 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I just pick them up but for smaller queens/ants I get a leaf or something and scoop them up. Be careful when you pick them up because ants are still delicate things no matter how hard their exoskeleton is.

@Ants4Fun I think Solenopsis invicta workers have modified ovaries for stingers, not sure about other ant though.

#7 Offline William. T - Posted June 26 2015 - 8:47 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I grab queens by their wings.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline LC3 - Posted June 26 2015 - 9:05 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I grab queens by their wings.

What happens if they shed their wings. o-O

#9 Offline Desnob - Posted June 26 2015 - 9:36 AM

Desnob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

All you need to catch a queen is a small container. I caught a queen this morning using a small leaf to lift her up very slightly and then gently dropped her into the vial.

[Current Colony - June 26, 2015] Tetramorium sp. e 200+ workers]

Need a safe sealant for a formicarium or outworld? Buy it on Amazon

#10 Offline antsinmypants - Posted June 26 2015 - 11:16 AM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

A pair of Dixie cups works best for Pogonomyrmex's scavenging on the ground or dug up in the soil.

Yesterday I lost my stainless steel featherweight forceps while trying to catch the first of four Camponotus vicinus (black head and gaster, red thorax) queens. I managed to get her into a urinalysis cup without directly touching her. The 4th queen was not so lucky. I must have crushed her with my leather gloves b/c she was DOA by the time I got her into the cup. The first queen had the biggest gaster of the four of them, and so I am assuming she is the founding queen. I put the urinalysis cups into a THA formicarium and let them transfer themselves and their brood into their new home. This morning, I see a clump of eggs that I presume were laid overnight by one of the smaller queens who is in the same chamber. Oh, and true to my name, I had ants in my pants yesterday. Ouch!

Later in the day yesterday I used a 3-foot long wrecking bar to rip open the bark of a fallen tree and caught 3 Camponotus modoc queens (black body, reddish legs). Without the forceps I had to coax the queen out with a makeshift probe using whatever I could find on the ground. Looking back, I should have attached the forceps to my neck with a chain. Now I have to cough up $6.99 to purchase another one. Double Ouch !!

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted June 26 2015 - 11:26 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Seems like a rough day for you. Atleats you got yourself a nice load of Camponotus.

#12 Offline SheldonLee5 - Posted June 26 2015 - 11:27 AM

SheldonLee5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks guys.. I thought I heard someone using an aspirator to "suck" them into the tube! 

#13 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 26 2015 - 12:17 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Yeah, I've seen the aspirator too, seems like a pretty nice way to go especially if you're picking up a whole bunch at once. 

The featherweight forceps are great from what I've seen.

Personally I use a q-tip and try to roll it backwards and scoop up the queen from in front, she usually sticks to the cotton and then I can tap her into my container. Don't roll it 'towards' her though or you'll just roll over and crush her lol.

#14 Offline Crystals - Posted June 26 2015 - 1:42 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I tend to use a small shovel usually attached to those kid's play sand buckets.  Or anything that they can climb up or into.  I use featherweight foceps to grab their legs if they are in a tight spot.

I have a odd tendancy to find most of the queens racing along my driveway.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#15 Offline Chromerust - Posted June 26 2015 - 2:02 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Nothing is quicker and easier to grab a queen off the ground than polyester fiber used in pillows and stuffed animals. Just pinch it between your fingers. Second best would be a sponge.
  • dspdrew likes this

#16 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 26 2015 - 2:44 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

1st when i find a queen i use packing tape (the cardboard roll it comes in) place it over the queen (so she won't escape) then i get out a tube or something so she can climb up

into it then i seal the open end with cotton....

IMG_1573.JPG

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#17 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 26 2015 - 2:51 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

1st when i find a queen i use packing tape (the cardboard roll it comes in) place it over the queen (so she won't escape) then i get out a tube or something so she can climb up

into it then i seal the open end with cotton....

A pair of Dixie cups works best for Pogonomyrmex's scavenging on the ground or dug up in the soil.

Yesterday I lost my stainless steel featherweight forceps while trying to catch the first of four Camponotus vicinus (black head and gaster, red thorax) queens. I managed to get her into a urinalysis cup without directly touching her. The 4th queen was not so lucky. I must have crushed her with my leather gloves b/c she was DOA by the time I got her into the cup. The first queen had the biggest gaster of the four of them, and so I am assuming she is the founding queen. I put the urinalysis cups into a THA formicarium and let them transfer themselves and their brood into their new home. This morning, I see a clump of eggs that I presume were laid overnight by one of the smaller queens who is in the same chamber. Oh, and true to my name, I had ants in my pants yesterday. Ouch!

Later in the day yesterday I used a 3-foot long wrecking bar to rip open the bark of a fallen tree and caught 3 Camponotus modoc queens (black body, reddish legs). Without the forceps I had to coax the queen out with a makeshift probe using whatever I could find on the ground. Looking back, I should have attached the forceps to my neck with a chain. Now I have to cough up $6.99 to purchase another one. Double Ouch !!

do like i do pull ur socks over your pants (just b sure fix it back when ur done, as people will look at u funny, trust me)

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

#18 Offline antsinmypants - Posted June 26 2015 - 3:45 PM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Oh, this is just great.....mutant zombie ants.....one of the C. vicinus queens has a mite infestation. I've isolated the whole formicarium by placing it in a different room in my house, etc. Unfortunately, she's not the only one with it. Some of the workers have it too. Should I keep the colony and see if life can find a way or just destroy them now? Triple Ouch !!!

Edited by antsinmypants, June 26 2015 - 4:26 PM.

• AntsTexas likes this

#19 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 26 2015 - 5:12 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Oh, this is just great.....mutant zombie ants.....one of the C. vicinus queens has a mite infestation. I've isolated the whole formicarium by placing it in a different room in my house, etc. Unfortunately, she's not the only one with it. Some of the workers have it too. Should I keep the colony and see if life can find a way or just destroy them now? Triple Ouch !!!

I guess I would be guilty if I collected a colony from the wild, only to kill it. If anything just let them go where you found them, instead of just killing them. In the wild they deal with mites all the time. The only reason their deadly, is in a closed space, where the ants can't escape. And the ants are stressed on top of that. So if anything let them go.
  • Jonathan21700 likes this

#20 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 26 2015 - 5:47 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

we will eat your brains, a tiny bit at a time... lol

sorry 4 the mites problem  :(

Edited by AntsTexas, June 26 2015 - 5:48 PM.

Ant Queens found:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users