• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

best times for looking for queens (resources)

illinois

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline olookitsme - Posted July 23 2021 - 1:22 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

Hey all, I'm just wondering if there is a website or something that gives information about nuptial flight times and how to pick the best time of day to go out looking for specific species. i generally take a couple of walks around my neighborhood most days between 10 am and 4 pm to take a look for queens and I am mainly finding a Formica pallidefulva here and there. i would just like to catch a few more queens of some other species becides my 3 Formica pallidefulva queens and 3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus queens. all help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#2 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted July 23 2021 - 1:54 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

i think they have something like that here

• olookitsme likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#3 Offline olookitsme - Posted July 23 2021 - 2:01 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

in general?

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#4 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted July 23 2021 - 2:08 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

in general?

its in the anting section underneath ant keeping

• olookitsme likes this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#5 Offline olookitsme - Posted July 23 2021 - 3:17 PM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

in general?

appreciate you

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#6 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted July 23 2021 - 3:18 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

in general?

appreciate you

no problem

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 24 2021 - 3:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hey all, I'm just wondering if there is a website or something that gives information about nuptial flight times and how to pick the best time of day to go out looking for specific species. i generally take a couple of walks around my neighborhood most days between 10 am and 4 pm to take a look for queens and I am mainly finding a Formica pallidefulva here and there. i would just like to catch a few more queens of some other species becides my 3 Formica pallidefulva queens and 3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus queens. all help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Try shining a UV blacklight on a white sheet at night. You’ll get a whole other range of species. If you’re feeling really gangsta, check it again at dawn before the sun comes up.
  • olookitsme and zA-Z0-9 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 24 2021 - 4:43 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

It’s here. Check the General forum, look in the “Handy Links” section under Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart. 
https://www.formicul...g-chart/?p=1004

• ANTdrew, olookitsme and zA-Z0-9 like this

#9 Offline olookitsme - Posted July 24 2021 - 8:20 AM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hey all, I'm just wondering if there is a website or something that gives information about nuptial flight times and how to pick the best time of day to go out looking for specific species. i generally take a couple of walks around my neighborhood most days between 10 am and 4 pm to take a look for queens and I am mainly finding a Formica pallidefulva here and there. i would just like to catch a few more queens of some other species becides my 3 Formica pallidefulva queens and 3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus queens. all help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Try shining a UV blacklight on a white sheet at night. You’ll get a whole other range of species. If you’re feeling really gangsta, check it again at dawn before the sun comes up.

do you think this will work with those winter ants or false honey pot ants(sorry, I don't know the scientific name off the top of my head, from my understanding they are the same species which come out for their nuptial flights in late winter) when they come out?

It’s here. Check the General forum, look in the “Handy Links” section under Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart. 
https://www.formicul...g-chart/?p=1004

Thank you!

• ConcordAntman and zA-Z0-9 like this

Queens owned

3 Formica pallidefulva

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 24 2021 - 9:26 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Winter ants, or Prenolepis imparis, fly in the spring, usually around March and April.
  • olookitsme and zA-Z0-9 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: illinois

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users