• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding houseflies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ambx327 - Posted July 21 2021 - 6:57 PM

ambx327

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Is it a good idea to feed a housefly I caught around my house (after freezing)?

I remember reading somewhere that it's not good to feed wild caught insects due to contaminants. 

But I also read many people feeding their colonies houseflies. 

What's the general verdict here?

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2021 - 7:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you’re sure nobody is spraying pesticides, and the fly seems healthy and vigorous, it’s fine. My ants go nuts for the loathsome things.
  • TestSubjectOne likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Online futurebird - Posted July 21 2021 - 9:25 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I recently bought some housefly pupae as feeder and my ants love them. They are like horrible cadbury eggs with cream filling for them. Gotta crack it open for them. 

I don't like flies, but thought "let me do a timelapse of the fly eclosing and maybe I'll understand it better" that's how I learned that flies can inflate their faces and are basically horrible little disease balloons. I freeze any flies I catch in the house with a vacuum and crush feeders with tweezers. 

But long story short flies are popular ant food. Wild caught flies can have horrible parasites so freeze em good. 

Seeing the fly up close and the "miracle" of metamorphosis in a fly didn't make me like them more. Ants are cute when they eclose. Flies are gross. Anyway here is the video I made about that:

cw: fly up close being a fly

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users