• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus ants are tearing cotton

camponotus cotton tearing pulling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 21 2021 - 5:56 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi!

Today i checked my camponotus herculeanus queen that has 4 workers so far, and noticed that they were pulling the cotton ball to get out of the test tube - which meant they were hungry.

But also there was a good chunk chewed off of the opposite cotton ball that was moist. And there's always at least one worker  trying to chew through it to get to water.

This cotton ball got stretched, and it's hard to tell if it lets any water through. I thought I should have moved them to another, larger test tube with a smaller ball so the ants could reach it more easily. So I connected them to the new test tube with some honey drops in it.

IMG_20210722_083207.jpg

They accepted the honey water, drank some fresh water, but they're  still pulling the cotton ball in the old test tube... They haven't moved yet, but placed some chewed cotton pieces in the new test tube.

IMG_20210722_082941.jpg

My guess is that they try to get some wooden pieces that are stuck in the cotton, and they just need some soil/cork or paper bits.

Or is it something else?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 21 2021 - 6:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Have you gave them protein yet? They could still be hungry.

#3 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 21 2021 - 6:33 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Have you gave them protein yet? They could still be hungry.

I gave them a worm 4 days ago, I'll give them some when they finish moving

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, cotton, tearing, pulling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users