• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Cork Nests Cool & Moist

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline carpenterMike - Posted July 21 2021 - 2:54 PM

carpenterMike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a very small colony of carpenter ants, who have nested in a cork nest with attached feeding area / outworld.

It’s been getting hot here (temp in feeding area reaching 30 C), but I have been advised to keep them within 22 C to 24 C. I am worried it will get too warm for them.

Does anyone have problems like this in much warmer climates with ants that are used to less warmer conditions? If so, what do you do to bring the temp of their nest down?

Also, would a small watering dispenser in the feeding area be sufficient for keeping the ants with enough water, or do I need to regularly water the cork nest to keep it moist?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2021 - 3:14 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I’ve heard cork molds easily so I would water it occasionally but mainly provide water in the outworld. Camponotus can tolerate pretty dry conditions.
  • carpenterMike likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2021 - 3:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
30 Celsius sounds about ideal. I can’t think of any ants that would rather be 22 degrees.
  • carpenterMike likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users