• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor structor question

messor structor difficulties in keeping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 2 2021 - 9:53 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Messor structor or related American species are one of the easiest to keep, but what is the most difficult or maybe annoying part of keeping them? Or maybe there's some nuances about making the colony thrive?

#2 Offline NPLT - Posted July 3 2021 - 2:19 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

I'm pretty sure all Messor species are european. As for its closests American cousins ( I.e, species in the Stenammini ), there's Stenamma, Aphaenogaster, Novomessor and Veromessor which I heard are ants for keepers which kept a colony or two successfully. As for keeping Messor, the only two things that can be annoying with them ( at least from hear-say as didn't have the pleasure, or will ever have, of keeping Messor ), that they're very sensitive to vibrations during founding stage, often eating brood, and that they can't be kept in nests from plaster or Ytong as their majors can chew through it.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 3 2021 - 7:53 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
If you are thinking of buying Messor in the US, don’t do it. Anyone selling them in the US is most likely doing so illegally. Veromessor is the American version of Messor, so that may be what you are looking for.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 3 2021 - 7:53 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 3 2021 - 7:56 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
For me it is the slow growth in the beginning. My colony barely grew for over a year and is just now starting to pick up speed.

#5 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 3 2021 - 5:26 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I'm pretty sure all Messor species are european. As for its closests American cousins ( I.e, species in the Stenammini ), there's Stenamma, Aphaenogaster, Novomessor and Veromessor which I heard are ants for keepers which kept a colony or two successfully. As for keeping Messor, the only two things that can be annoying with them ( at least from hear-say as didn't have the pleasure, or will ever have, of keeping Messor ), that they're very sensitive to vibrations during founding stage, often eating brood, and that they can't be kept in nests from plaster or Ytong as their majors can chew through it.

By related species I meant pogonomyrmex, they're also harvester ants. But thanks for the tips!
I'm not in the US though, I'm in Russia so there's no problem with messors
Also I read some posts about messor and veromessor having relatively dumb behavior, if that's true though

#6 Offline NPLT - Posted July 4 2021 - 5:20 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

By related species I meant pogonomyrmex, they're also harvester ants. But thanks for the tips!
I'm not in the US though, I'm in Russia so there's no problem with messors
Also I read some posts about messor and veromessor having relatively dumb behavior, if that's true though

But Pogonomyrmex is in a completely different tribe of Myrmicinae, they're in Pogonomyrmecini while Messor is in Stenammini. Anyway, if you get a Messor structor or Messor barbarus colony with some workers, they should be barely a problem to keep, one of the easiest ants I heard.

Edited by NPLT, July 4 2021 - 5:21 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 5 2021 - 8:34 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Pogonomyrmex are also harvester ants, but keep in mind they do sting. Thankfully they are terrible climbers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: messor, structor, difficulties, in keeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users