• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 1 2021 - 4:51 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Since I had a lot of ants, and I don't want to make a journal each for ALL of them, I decided to make one journal that updates on all of them.
Here are the ants I currently have:

Dolichoderinae:

Iridomyrmex anceps x1

Technomyrmex sp x1

Ectatomminae:

Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) sp x1

Formicinae:

Anoplolepis gracilipes x1

Camponotus albosparsus x2

Camponotus parius x1 3September2023 (founding queen)
Camponotus irritans x1 3September 2023 (founding queen)

Colobopsis cf leonardi x1

Colobopsis sp x1

Colobopsis sp2 x1

Lepisiota rothneyi x1

Oecophylla smaragdina x1

Paratrechina longicornis x1

Polyrhachis cf bicolor x1

Polyrhachis cf rastellata x1

Myrmicinae:

Cardiocondyla sp x1

Carebara affinis x1

Carebara (Oligomyrmex)

Crematogaster sp

Crematogaster sp2 x1

Meranoplus bicolor x1

Monomorium cf monomorium x1

Paratopula sp x1

Pheidole megacephala x1 (multi-queen colony)

Pheidole parva x1

Solenopsis geminata x1

Strumigenys sp x1

Tetramorium cf lanuginosum x1

Tetramorium cf bicarinatum x1

Tetramorium sp x1

Trichomyrmex destructor x1

Ponerinae:

Anochetus sp x1Anochetus sp2 x1

Euponera sp x1

Mesoponera sp x1

Odontomachus simillimus x1
Odontoponera denticulata x1

Platythyrea sp x1
cf Brachyponera sp x1

Pseudomyrmicinae:

Tetraponera cf nigra x1

One update on the Colobopsis, the colony has mites! Not a lot of them just a few on the workers and at least one on the queen. Guess I'll have to give them some lemons to get the mites off. Also, I actually named some of the queens, here are the names: Camponotus parius (Anthie), Pheidole parva (Antionette), Meranoplus cf bicolor (Anthiet) (Yeah, those are bad names cause they are all generic names (except for Pheidole parva), I was thinking of renaming them :thinking:.).

Edited by SYUTEO, September 5 2023 - 5:33 AM.

• Antkeeper01, ZachAnt101 and AntBoi3030 like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 1 2021 - 8:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Lemons don’t actually work, at least according to ANTdrew.
  • Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

#3 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 1 2021 - 5:30 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

So, what can I do to get the mites off?

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 1 2021 - 6:06 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Hypoaspis (I think that’s how it is spelled) mites will eat them I’m not sure if they are sold internationally though. If it is a small infestation you could remove them manually.

#5 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 2 2021 - 1:13 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

If the mites don't attach at the joints of the ant then they aren't parasitic and are probably phoretic. They will detach when they find a suitable environment. Usually that's a sign of either lack of feeding or the nest is too dry.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#6 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 1:57 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

If the mites don't attach at the joints of the ant then they aren't parasitic and are probably phoretic. They will detach when they find a suitable environment. Usually that's a sign of either lack of feeding or the nest is too dry.

I see.

#7 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 2:00 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hypoaspis (I think that’s how it is spelled) mites will eat them I’m not sure if they are sold internationally though. If it is a small infestation you could remove them manually.

I don't think I can find anyone selling hypoaspis mites in where I live.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#8 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 4:50 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Quick update on the Anochetus queen, she built a small chamber for herself, though she is usually seen foraging in the test tube. Unfortunately no eggs yet, hopefully she will start laying in the next few days. Also, I find that she doesn't eat anything else other than springtails, any suggestions on what to feed her?

• ANTS_KL likes this

#9 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 2 2021 - 4:52 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Quick update on the Anochetus queen, she built a small chamber for herself, though she is usually seen foraging in the test tube. Unfortunately no eggs yet, hopefully she will start laying in the next few days. Also, I find that she doesn't eat anything else other than springtails, any suggestions on what to feed her?

Anochetus are known to eat very small prey so I think only springtails will work. Good luck tho! Damn I want em BAD. I found a dead queen once. Eaten by a spider... Killed the spider >:-D I'm still sad...

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#10 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 5:06 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Anochetus are known to eat very small prey so I think only springtails will work. Good luck tho! Damn I want em BAD. I found a dead queen once. Eaten by a spider... Killed the spider >:-D I'm still sad...

I've only seen a living Anochetus queen three times in my life before, the first time was when I found one in my grandpa's oil palm plantation (she died eventually :( ), the second time was when I accidently dug up a nest in my backyard (I'm not good at digging up ant nests and I'm scared that I might accidently kill her so I left her colony alone), and the third was this queen.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#11 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 5:07 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Another quick update, my Crematogaster queen ate her pupa, AGAIN  :mad:

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#12 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 2 2021 - 5:08 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Another quick update, my Crematogaster queen ate her pupa, AGAIN :mad:

Just leave her for 2 weeks

• SYUTEO likes this

#13 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 5:19 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Another quick update, my Crematogaster queen ate her pupa, AGAIN :mad:

Just leave her for 2 weeks

Alright. I really wanted another Crematogaster colony ever since my previous one died.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 2 2021 - 8:14 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Fruit flies might be good for Anochetus if they are available in Malaysia. It seems most ants really like them.

• SYUTEO likes this

#15 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 2 2021 - 9:27 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'd thought I decided to add some pictures of some of the colonies here.

Camponotus irritans, a young colony with approximately 12-14 workers.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 12.44.42 PM.jpeg

Meranoplus bicolor, if you look closely, you can see alates. Also this colony is actually much bigger than it seems in this pic.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 12.44.41 PM.jpeg

Lepisiota cf rothneyi, compared to the last time you've seen this colony, they now have their own outworld and moved to different test tubes.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 12.44.41 PM (2).jpeg

Camponotus parius, it may seem like this colony is rather small, but in reality this colony is HUGE, their setup currently has two test tubes, one dirt nest, one ytong nest and one outworld.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 12.44.41 PM (1).jpeg

#16 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 2 2021 - 11:08 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I WANT THEM ALL

• SYUTEO likes this

#17 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 2 2021 - 11:12 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Fruit flies might be good for Anochetus if they are available in Malaysia. It seems most ants really like them.

From what I know no one sells fruit flies in our country.

#18 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 3 2021 - 12:22 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Actually, there are.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#19 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 3 2021 - 12:23 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Actually, there are.
Where?!

#20 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 3 2021 - 12:26 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Actually, there are.
Where?!

Hold on, I'll send you a private message.

Edit: The personal message in the forum.

Edited by SYUTEO, July 3 2021 - 12:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users