• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nuptial flight signs?

nuptial flight queen ants anting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Membrayne - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:38 PM

Membrayne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEverett, Washington

Hi, apologies if this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any relevant information on it elsewhere.

But am I oblivious, or are there distinct signs of nuptial flight in Washington State/The greater northwest area of the US in general?

Will I find wings and dead males on the ground frequently?

Will the ants' nest openings be wider?

Do weather conditions needs to be pretty much perfect?

Will I see ants flying?

Will there be winged ants at the top of the nest at around the estimated nuptial flight per species?

I'm just a bit lost and confused because I've been looking on and off around my home for weeks during semi optimal conditions, when I have a break from work, to no avail.

Any info would be much appreciated.

#2 Offline antgallery - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:43 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

I know that conditions don't have to be perfect for most ants. in my area we are in the middle of basically a drought but they have still been flying like crazy at night.

if you have one I suggest blacklighting that's how I catch most of my queens in the summer.

#3 Offline Membrayne - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:44 PM

Membrayne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I actually got a blacklight last night, but fell asleep before the sun went down, I'll be sure to try it out tonight, thanks lol

#4 Offline antgallery - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:51 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

No problem, hope you catch some queens! :)

• Membrayne likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 2:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Learn the flight conditions of the various species in your area including time of day, season, and weather conditions. Then spend LOTS of time outside and hope for good luck. There are some members from Washington that can help you.
  • azzaaazzzz00, antgallery and Membrayne like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Tyr_Ants - Posted June 18 2021 - 3:18 PM

Tyr_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa California
Pogonomyrmex flew in my area

Ant Shop: (restocking soon) https://www.formicul...op/#entry195574  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  (y)  B)  B)  B)

#7 Offline Membrayne - Posted June 18 2021 - 3:43 PM

Membrayne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Learn the flight conditions of the various species in your area including time of day, season, and weather conditions. Then spend LOTS of time outside and hope for good luck. There are some members from Washington that can help you.

In that case, hopefully a couple of them will see this post.

I only know of a couple specific species in my general area of western Washington, some of them I don't know the exact species of because I haven't been able to get a closer look at them.

All I know is that I have a couple black carpenter ant species in my area, Liometopum occidentale, Tetramorium Immigrans, and the only queen I've found to date, the formica neorufibarbis queen in my profile image.

Other than that I've seen a few miscellaneous species but again haven't had the capability to analyze them closely to figure out what they are (I am a bit new to this hobby)

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 4:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Right about now is the perfect time to find Tetramorium queens. Look very early on hot, humid mornings. Camponotus may already have flown, but you can look for them late afternoons/evenings. Formica fly in the day time usually in midsummer. Just spend a lot of time outside on hot, humid days with light wind, and you’re bound to find something. Oh, and always have a collection container in your pocket. Always.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline Membrayne - Posted June 18 2021 - 4:36 PM

Membrayne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Didn't realize Tetramorium flew so early, all I'd heard was "morning" so I went out when it was roughly 60 degrees F this morning at 9

Should it usually be above 60 at 6-7 am if they're gonna fly?

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 4:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, 6-7am.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 19 2021 - 11:34 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I find them in the afternoon after they have already flown and they are looking for nests.
  • Membrayne likes this

#12 Offline Membrayne - Posted June 20 2021 - 1:57 PM

Membrayne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
One hopefully last addition, uh, does it need to have rained the prior day for it to be likely that they fly? Or are they gonna be just as likely to fly on a day that's only humid with no rain? Cause I looked all day today in ideal conditions with no results, though I found a stray Tetramorium queen yesterday

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 20 2021 - 2:52 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
A day after a rain is probably the best time but I find plenty of queens without a recent rain.
  • Membrayne likes this

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2021 - 3:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Heat, high humidity, and low winds is enough without any rains.
  • Membrayne likes this

#15 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 13 2021 - 11:17 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

This is fantastic information.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial flight, queen ants, anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users